Tuesday, April 28, 2009

T.M.I.

I can't keep up! I mean it....it's just too much! Facebook, Blogger, Twitter....we are networking more and more, but communicating less and less. I see people sitting at dinner together at a restaurant with no one talking, but mom is on her cell phone, their teenager is texting a friend with thumbs moving frantically and dad is checking e-mail on his I-phone....they are talking to everyone but each other!
...
I'm honestly ready for an electronics free zone....no silicon allowed! Imagine a place where we would really have to talk to each other and no phones would ring? You wouldn't have to wait while your companion is distracted by a vibrating device that catches their attention. What a vacation oasis that would be! Even as I write this my silly phone is vibrating beside me....I think I'll just turn it off....

4 comments:

Alicia said...

Scott and I were out to dinner one night at Blue Goose and as we waited for our table we saw two couple who were together for dinner. At one point all 4 of them pulled out their cell phones and were either talking or texting and no one was talking to each other. I couldn't believe it. Even among "park day" with other homeschooling families the talk either comes to the iphone or other device or people are using them and texting. Yuck!! Give me conversation about meaningful topics any day. I want a technology free zone too. Wanna start one?

Thanks Mike for a great post!

Brother John said...

Amen, Mike! Sometimes I just want to go someplace where I cannot be reached by electronic communication, dangers aside. It really bugs me when those around and near me check their Facebook or e-mail accounts every five minutes. I fear that we in America have lost the discipline of stillness and simplicity. We've lost the discipline to shut off our electronic devices and listen to the sound of the wind (and, perhaps, the sound of the Spirit).

Schweers' Mom said...

John - I agree with you. It is hard to listen to the Spirit when you are worried about who's texting, twittering or FBing. Yikes.

I saw today on the news that Twitter is losing followers, that it is just overkill. No one wants to know second-by-second where ANYONE is and what they are doing.

I do have a technology free zone...go to Idyllwild, CA. Cell phone reception is practically nill and internet connections are not the best either. Not to mention, it's a beautiful location where you can get away and really appreciate the beauty God created and even take time to listen to Him whispering in your ear. Nice!

Unknown said...

Not claiming any victory over technology here...I actively participate. However, I am one of those rare birds that most often lets my cell phone go to voicemail. If its important...they'll leave a message.