Friday, April 03, 2009

Choosing darkness

I found an article online this morning regarding what I would call the "billboard wars." One camp will buy a billboard sign saying, "THERE IS A GOD!" and the counter attack will post a billboard saying, "NO THERE ISN'T!"

From this article I just want to quote one statement and compare it to a passage of scripture that it brought to mind. It's funny how they are so clearly similar and how well the bible describes the heart of man. Here's the quote that caught my eye-

"We want to help those who have grown beyond religious belief to find their philosophical home," the nontheistic group states. The Dallas/Fort Worth Coalition of Reason

And, in response, here's the word of God-

Rom 1:28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind....

When people refuse the light God has given then darkness is their only choice. I'm saddened to see people who prefer the darkness of their own way to the light of following God.

3 comments:

Brandon and Jenny said...

I, too, am saddened. It is very frustrating as well.
-Jenny

Anonymous said...

Actually, for those who choose not to believe in any kind of deity, the sun and lightbulbs provide totally sufficient light. You'd be surprised how little actual light you get from god...

Mike Messerli said...

Anonymous, thanks for your comment. I assume you are commenting with some "tongue-in-cheek" humor. I also assume you know I'm speaking in the way of spiritual light, not physical light. I am also assuming you are poking a little fun at my statements. If you would like to discuss this idea and the comments I have made further do let me know. Thanks for commenting.