Saturday, April 25, 2009

Communicating the wrong things

NGC 2244 cluster in NGC 2237, The Rosette Nebula in Monoceros
click here to see image at 50% size
.....
As I'm roaming the web I came across this photo and text this evening. The text below the photo caught my eye. I didn't dare click on the link for fear of what would happen next...imagine if I really could see the image at 50% size just by clicking on the link? Suddenly, in a moment, an enormous galaxy at 50% scale right before my eyes....wow! How do they do that?
.....
I know what they meant to say, I think, but we all do this at times....thinking we are saying one thing, but communicating something completely different. I have been thinking about this in reference to the Christian church, and I believe we have done that same thing to those around us who have not come to faith yet. We have not communicated what we thought we were saying. Instead of telling the world we love and care for them and want their salvation we have, in fact, communicated the wrong thing to a world needing truth. Just something I'm thinking about...I'll talk about this more as I work through it.....I welcome your thoughts on this idea of communicating the love of God to a lost world.
....

2 comments:

mike said...

Some people that I work with feel that I think I'm better than them. Is this really what I have communicated to them through my words and actions? By not sharing in the filthy talk, by not gossiping with them or taking extended breaks when the boss isn't looking. By showing up everyday and not being late and going the exrta mile.

Mike Messerli said...

Mike,

maybe this is what they have translated your words and actions to mean, but it doesn't sound like that's what you communicated. We, as people, are masters of self-justification and will make someone else a villian to make ourselves look good. keep doing the right thing. God will sort it all out.