Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Thinking about what's important

I love the early morning...just before first light when it's completely quiet. I'm alone, no one wants my time and I can think. Read. Pray. Meditate. This morning I'm just thinking about what's important to me and my mind thinks of people, not stuff. I think about my wife, my kids, grandkids, parents, friends and the list continues. I think of friends and family who have died, I think of those who have touched my life. I think of Godly men and women who have long ago gone to be with the Lord, but their influence continues. I think about people. The stuff of the world is so temporary, it's all wearing out and will end up being thrown away, but the people around us...they are eternal. And yet, I find as I talk to people about their lives, the one thing they consider most disposable are the people around them! They discard marriages as they would old shoes. They turn their backs on friends as if they were strangers. They hurt those they should most care about. How have we gotten so confused that we would prize the stuff and carelessly throw away the eternal ones around us? Are we that blind? In fact, I have to admit, we are....and so we need these words from the lips of Jesus. Words spoken that have changed the world. Words that call us to value eternal things....
....
John 13:34 "Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another.
...
As you begin your busy day I invite you to make the people around you the most important things on your agenda for the day. You will never regret the investment. You will never miss the hours invested in the lives of others...for you see...they are eternal and they matter most to God.

No comments: