Thursday, March 22, 2007

What do you want?


I had an early morning breakfast with a friend today. He asked me an interesting question, "What do you want to do?" I know my answer, because I have thought about this a lot....I want to serve God, and serve his church. What does that look like? It depends on the need of the moment. There are times when I have to simply sit and listen to one of our family dealing with a big loss or a great victory. There are other times when it's simply setting up chairs for an event. The thing I have to constantly cultivate is the heart of a servant. It's not normal for any of us, but it's important to God.
I often go back in my mind to a passage of scripture in John 13. It gives us, as Christians, our directions on how to interact with one another. Here's what Jesus did and said-
Joh 13:3 Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come forth from God and was going back to God,
Joh 13:4 *got up from supper, and *laid aside His garments; and taking a towel, He girded Himself.
Joh 13:5 Then He *poured water into the basin, and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded.
Joh 13:6 So He *came to Simon Peter. He *said to Him, "Lord, do You wash my feet?"
Joh 13:7 Jesus answered and said to him, "What I do you do not realize now, but you will understand hereafter."
Joh 13:8 Peter *said to Him, "Never shall You wash my feet!" Jesus answered him, "If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me."
Joh 13:9 Simon Peter *said to Him, "Lord, then wash not only my feet, but also my hands and my head."
Joh 13:10 Jesus *said to him, "He who has bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you."
Joh 13:11 For He knew the one who was betraying Him; for this reason He said, "Not all of you are clean."
Joh 13:12 So when He had washed their feet, and taken His garments and reclined at the table again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you?
Joh 13:13 "You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am.
Joh 13:14 "If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.
Joh 13:15 "For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you.
Joh 13:16 "Truly, truly, I say to you, a slave is not greater than his master, nor is one who is sent greater than the one who sent him.
Joh 13:17 "If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them.
That last verse is what has my attention. I am blessed when I serve others? When I do menial things that others need? When I do what no one else wants to do? When I'm a servant and no one says, "thank you"? I'm blessed HOW?
I'm blessed by God by obeying him. I'm blessed by seeing God use me. I'm blessed because I put someone else ahead of me.
The thing I have to constantly cultivate is the heart of a servant. It's not normal for any of us, but it's important to God.

6 comments:

susan in fm said...

When I was in college and a fairly new Christian, one of my professors adamantly claimed that no one does anything without expecting something in return. I told him I didn’t believe that and was so mad at him I dropped the class (I didn’t say I was mature, ha ha).

But sometimes I wonder… was he right? When we obey God, do we do things to please God (ie, do we expect that in return)? Is that the same thing?

For some reason, your post reminded me of the exchange with that professor.

Mike Messerli said...

Susan,

I think our fallen hearts are very selfish. Your professor was presenting a very jaded view- the view of the human heart at its worst. But there are moments, there are times when we do walk with God and do something for the right motive. That's the goal..to be more and more like Christ in how we respond to others, but it's not natural, and that may be what your prof. was addressing.

susan in fm said...

Thanks, Mike. I think he was very jaded, as you said. This was a business class, anyway! I have no idea why he even brought it up. I guess I still believe that there can be times (although they aren't normal and they are rare) that people do things without thought to what they might gain from it. I probably wouldn't drop a class over it now, though. :)

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

There is none good - no not one.
And then Jesus!
I believe that when we have Jesus abiding in us - sometimes - just sometimes - we get out of the way - and then!!!!! Oh MY! THEN -- those are the times that we get a taste of heaven.
Unfortunately, these are only glimpses - but they are beautiful to see - because they are HIM using us as 'just a suit of clothes!' quote by 'the major'

Anonymous said...

What if you do something because you fear GOD? Is it selfish then?

Mike Messerli said...

fear of God as a motive? I think that's one of the best motives there is. An honest fear of God is a great incentive to follow and obey God.

Great question!