Friday, March 09, 2007

Trials, tests and temptations

Jas 1:2 Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides.
Jas 1:3 You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors.
Jas 1:4 So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.
Jas 1:5 If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You'll get his help, and won't be condescended to when you ask for it.
(THE MESSAGE)

Problems.....trials.....tests.....temptations....they are part of life. It's the fire we need to refine us. Don't resent problems, understand their purpose and thrive through them.

But, most of the time, I consider tests a real bother in my life. I constantly have to remember these verses, and realize that these tests are meant to help me, not hurt me.

Lord, help me to see my problems and struggles through your eyes.

4 comments:

stephanie said...

wow, mike. that was something i really needed to hear today! thanks.

Schweers' Mom said...

Wanna come teach the Precepts lesson on Tuesday? You succinctly explained the crux of the ENTIRE lesson (in much less than our 5 hours of weekly homework).

The picture is priceless!

Mike Messerli said...

Stephanie,

I'm glad I could help. thanks for the encouragement.

Lori,

I'll help if you wish. I always love to talk about the word.

Anonymous said...

I remember a story that came from Russia in the 70's- Christians were meeting in secret to worship and two soldiers barged in and lined them against the wall. The soldiers told them all who are informers and spys in the group may leave, all other remain here. A few of them turned and left but the majority remained facing the wall. When the door
was closed the soldiers layed down their weapons and joined the group saying we are Christians too we just had to make sure who was of GOD.

1 Peter 3:13-18

-Dave