Monday, June 08, 2009

Seeing clearly


Like many in our world I need help to see. I need glasses. I wasn't always in need of help. Early in my life, even into my early 20's, I had 20-20 vision, but as I aged my eyes weakened and I needed help. Gradually, over time, my eyes have weakened a little more each time I visit my eye doctor, Bruce. Just a few weeks ago I got a new pair of glasses and now I see clearly again. It's great to be able to see.
...
One of the things I see as I read Jesus' words in the gospels is that he is constantly bringing things into focus. He is the ultimate eye doctor for those who thought they could see, but were really living with blurry vision. Today I was reading Luke 6 and it struck me that he's literally helping the blind religious leaders see what's important. He's bringing important things into focus. It's this clarity of vision that often got Jesus in trouble. Here's a few of his words that struck me and clarified my vision, as I'm sure they did for those who heard him,
...
Luke 6:31-38- "Here is a simple rule of thumb for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you; then grab the initiative and do it for them! If you only love the lovable, do you expect a pat on the back? Run-of-the-mill sinners do that. If you only help those who help you, do you expect a medal? Garden-variety sinners do that. If you only give for what you hope to get out of it, do you think that's charity? The stingiest of pawnbrokers does that. "I tell you, love your enemies. Help and give without expecting a return. You'll never--I promise--regret it. Live out this God-created identity the way our Father lives toward us, generously and graciously, even when we're at our worst. Our Father is kind; you be kind. "Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults--unless, of course, you want the same treatment. Don't condemn those who are down; that hardness can boomerang. Be easy on people; you'll find life a lot easier. Give away your life; you'll find life given back, but not merely given back--given back with bonus and blessing. Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity."
...
Jesus often uses questions to help us see more clearly. He does that in this passage. But he does more. Jesus raises the bar for what we should do in relationship with others. He describes in words what it really looks like to imitate God, to live as God planned for us to live. His words bring our actions into focus and show us how blind we have really been. Often, for those who thought they could see, these words make them angry. But for those who really want to see they are wonderful words of clarity and focus.
...
For me to see clearly I need glasses. For me to see clearly in my spiritual life I need Jesus' words to help me see as God wants me to see. I read his words daily to make sure I'm seeing things through his eyes because I know that my vision is blurry without his help.
...

No comments: