Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Just thinking

In my reading this morning I was in Revelation 4. As I was reading I got one of those, "hey, wait a minute...." moments. May I share it with you? Here's the passage and then I will share what I'm thinking-

Rev 4:5 Out from the throne come flashes of lightning and sounds and peals of thunder. And there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God;
Rev 4:6 and before the throne there was something like a sea of glass, like crystal; and in the center and around the throne, four living creatures full of eyes in front and behind.
Rev 4:7 The first creature was like a lion,



and the second creature like a calf,

and the third creature had a face like that of a man,

and the fourth creature was like a flying eagle.

Rev 4:8 And the four living creatures, each one of them having six wings, are full of eyes around and within; and day and night they do not cease to say, "HOLY, HOLY, HOLY is THE LORD GOD, THE ALMIGHTY, WHO WAS AND WHO IS AND WHO IS TO COME."

These four creatures are called Seraphim. They are the angels who are contantly in the presence of God crying out "Holy, holy, holy." Now I don't have pictures that would show them as they are, but can you imagine what amazing angels these are? How wonderful...six wings, full of eyes....we have no idea how awesome they look, but we do have a little picture of them. It suddenly struck me today, as I read, that these angels were created before God made the heavens and the earth. Is it possible that these animals are a small glimpse of what those Seraphim look like? Did God make the Lion, the calf and the eagle to honor those angels? Do they give us a glimpse at how amazing even God's angelic creation is? I think I will look at lions, calves and eagles in a different way from now on.....just a "hey, wait a minute...." moment for me.

3 comments:

john alan turner said...

Mike,
Ignatius suggested the because there are four creatures (mentioned in Revelation and also in Ezekiel) there must only be four Gospels. Since then, many theologians have drawn parallels between each of these creatures and the portrait of Jesus presented in one of the Gospels.

In Matthew, for example, Jesus is the Lion of Judah.

In Mark, he is an ox -- strong and energetic.

In Luke, he is the perfect man.

In John, he sees things from an eagle's perspective.

Just more food for thought.

Mike Messerli said...

John,

thanks for the comment. I knew about that from years ago, but this thought today was a new one for me. Thanks for taking a moment to comment.

Anonymous said...

I love the thought of animals giving us a glimpse of the angels. Thanks for sharing.