Friday, March 02, 2007

Proverbs

I have a habit....it's part of my life now. I have been doing it so long that it's now the first thing I do in the morning. I get my bible out, get out my journal, check the date and turn to that chapter in Proverbs. This has been great for me. I literally read through Proverbs once each month. Over the years having the wisdom of Solomon in my head and life has been a tremendous blessing. It has helped me "see" things more clearly. Today I am in chapter 2 (today is the second of the month), and I read these words,

Pro 2:6 For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.
Pro 2:7 He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk in integrity,
Pro 2:8 Guarding the paths of justice, And He preserves the way of His godly ones.
Pro 2:9 Then you will discern righteousness and justice And equity and every good course.
Pro 2:10 For wisdom will enter your heart And knowledge will be pleasant to your soul;
Pro 2:11 Discretion will guard you, Understanding will watch over you,


When I come to this passage each month I stop and slow down. I "crawl" through these words. There is more to the chapter, but if you just read these words and believed them you would be a committed bible student for life! Discretion will guard you, understanding will watch over you... what an amazing statement! These are the results of hearing God's word and allowing it to change your mind and heart....and as a result it seems there are some other things working for us too. It's just a fascinating passage....I just wanted to share a portion of it with you. If you aren't in the word daily, try reading the chapter in Proverbs that matches the day of the month. Read through it for one month, and let me know what you find.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is cool

Norm in FM said...

I have been doing a similar thing with Proverbs. I read a chapter a day, but not necessarily on the date that matches the chapter. Sometimes I miss a day, and I can't stand the thought of missing out on the wisdom, so I just keep a bookmark where I am, and read the next chapter.

What amazes me is how often Jesus says the same thing as is mentioned in Proverbs. Until I started reading it enough to know it, I didn't see it.

Now if I can just figure out how to get my kids to read it daily too :-)