Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Aware of God's presence


There's an interesting story in Genesis 28 as Jacob is on his way to his uncle Laban's house. On the way he rests for the night, but is awakened with a realization that God is there. He has a dream and God tells him of his care and of his promise, but the words that always catch my attention are Jacob's,
....
Gen 28:16 Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, "Surely the LORD is in this place, and I did not know it."
....
How often this happens without us even realizing it. God is the ever present one and we are often completely unaware of his presence, his care, his nearness. God is in this place, wherever your place may be, to woo you, care for you, watch over you and work in your life. I do wish I was more aware of his presence, but I know that I would be overwhelmed by its reality. Like Jacob I don't always know or sense God's presence and am surprised when I turn around and he's here with me all the time! If this is true, and it is, how would being aware of his presence change your life? Would you talk to him more? Would you worry less? Would you sin less? He is the ever present God. He is forever with me, and most of the time I don't even know it....

No comments: