Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Cracked pots and broken lives

God uses the strangest things. God uses the strangest people. Years ago I was in southern Mexico on a mission trip with a missionary in the jungle. He took me to the little village there to show me something very special. He told me that in this village was a potter who made pottery just as they did in the time of Jesus, in first century Israel. I was excited, and looking forward to the opportunity. We went to the potter's shop and watched as he made a vase. He spun the wheel with his foot, sitting on a little stool, and molded the vase into a beautiful piece. Suddenly he said something in spanish, only a word, and with his fist smashed the vase back into a lump of clay to start all over again.

I was shocked. I asked the missionary why he did that. He asked the potter and this is what he told us, he told us it had lumps. That's the word he had used, "lumps." He explained that if the finished vase had any lumps left in the clay it would crack when he fired it, so he had to smash it down to clay and work out the lump, he had to start again.

I often feel like that clay. I know I have lumps, but it's so hard when the Lord is trying to "get the lumps out."

The work the Lord has to do in me to keep me from ending up a cracked pot is painful, but it's worth it. My goal is to be a vessel that God can use, so when the Lord is working on lumps remember the goal-


2Ti 2:20 Now in a large house there are not only gold and silver vessels, but also vessels of wood and of earthenware, and some to honor and some to dishonor.
2Ti 2:21 Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from these things, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,
Thanks for your thoughts you've shared. My prayer is that the CBC body, who has had beautiful teaching through ALL our pastors on God's unbelieveable grace, will be able to act upon what we've been taught and pour out and extend that grace to those around us who are in need of it. This is a huge opportunity for our church to experience God's healing, but also to be an example to those in our area of what God's amazing grace can do in the midst of incredible circumstances. Thank you for all you do in love for our body. I'm grateful for the impact you've had on my husband's life.
Blessings,
AH in Flower Mound

Anonymous said...

Mike,
I love this story. It really helps me put things into the right perspective. Thank you for teaching class tonight. I know you must be exhausted. It is comforting to be with my CBC family. I pray that you and the other staff members will find time to rest in the coming days.
ST

Anonymous said...

Again the reflections of ourselves has been ripped away. Showing us as we are, but not as what we strive to be. Our hopes and fears not reflected but the eyes of a sinner in need. We wish to come before the LORD as sinners no more. To strive to be worthy of the reflection of Christ that never can be done. It has been given to the unworthy in Grace. We have been reminded that we are sinners unworthy of the calling of GOD. I am comforted that this life isnt about me, that no matter what GOD will accomplish with or without me (with me I hope) HIS ends. HE has won for all time. Almighty LORD, I love you.

D

stephanie said...

Thank you, Mike, for continuing to post on your blog even on these very busy very hard days. The messages that you write are so very helpful!

Anonymous said...

you don't know me, but I enjoy reading your blog and am encouraged by it and looking forward to making progress in my journey by reading it. thank you.

Anonymous said...

yeah, you write great blogs!

Heidi Day said...

Mike, I just recently found your blog and am so glad I did. I have been an admirer of yours for some time. Thank you for your careful, thoughtful sermons of the past. We're looking forward to hearing more.

Our prayers for your strength and rest for the weeks ahead.

Heidi Day, Highland Village

Caroline said...

Neat story.

I, too, wish you some rest, soon.

Anonymous said...

Two things. Firstly, it’s a very encouraging post on "lumps." I know I had some during puberty, and even after that, but we tend to forget how many lumps we actually have until God removes them, one by one.

Secondly, from the comments above, for Pete’s sake get some rest if you need some. All in all, I do agree with those who say that your posts are very encouraging … and heartwarming. You know, what you write do strike a chord in my heart-strings every now and then. God bless you and your work for Him.

Vincent Chia (from the land of smiles)

Anonymous said...

great blog, looking forward to more and more!!

Anonymous said...

I think I am a bit of cracked pot already. However, that does not negate the point of this story's illustration. I find myself looking everywhere for answers to our recent tragedy. And while my personal faith is completely unshaken, the answers I seek have not yet been found. Maybe they never will be...and I will work on being ok with that.

Joye said...

jim, I think that's pretty much where we're all at.

Marsha G. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.