Saturday, September 09, 2006

The people God uses

This is Alicia. She's a member of the church we visited in Tula, Russia in June. Alicia is a wonderful young Christian lady, a real treat to be around. You find yourself smiling as you watch her interact with others. She's a real joy!

Why am I introducing you to Alicia? I want you to meet someone that God uses. She's not rich, not highly educated, she's not famous, but she is available.

I was reading 1 Corinthians 1 this morning in my devotions and I love the picture that Paul paints of those God uses. Read these words slowly, it should be an encouragement to you.


1Co 1:26 For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble;
1Co 1:27 but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong,
1Co 1:28 and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are,
1Co 1:29 so that no man may boast before God.
1Co 1:30 But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption,
1Co 1:31 so that, just as it is written, "LET HIM WHO BOASTS, BOAST IN THE LORD."

God uses those who are available, like Alicia, to serve him. We don't have to be beautiful, educated, rich, powerful, or popular. God is not impressed in the least with those kind of people. He's looking for available people....those who will be used so God can be glorified.

In fact all the skills we need, all the gifts that are required, all the abilities needed for serving God COME FROM HIM. We bring nothing to the party except for being available for him to use us, he furnishes all we need to do the work.

So, when you feel inadequate in your desire to serve God, rejoice...YOU ARE INADEQUATE, isn't that great? It's an opportunity for us to pray, "Lord, I'm available, use me, equip me, work through me FOR YOUR GLORY."

You will be amazed at what God will do. I have seen him do that in my life, and he's always faithful to glorify his name if we will let him.

Inadequate for the task? Yes, rejoice in that, and be available. God loves people like that, people like Alicia.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew! What a relief that it's ok to be inadequate because I know that I am sooooo inadequate! Great post!

Schweers' Mom

Mike Messerli said...

Yes, but I've watched you be available...and that's of great worth to God.

Radar said...

Excellent post.
With all that I lack, God can still use me. So I will continue to reach out to those that are deceived by false religions.