Saturday, September 30, 2006

Don't worry....


I have a confession to make. I have to tell you about this because it's part of this story....
ok, here it is- I'm a worrier.
Ask my wife. She will tell you I can worry at the drop of hat. I have mastered the art of worry. I know how to worry about not having anything to worry about! I know it's sin, but I have done it so long in my life, even before my faith in Christ, that it's my default thought. I have to make the choice, on purpose, to not worry and trust God.

What do I, excuse me, what do we worry about? Food, clothing, a house, money for bills, cars, love, job, you name it, we will find a way to worry about it, and that's why Jesus words that follow are so haunting. They speak to my constant desire to "stock up," to "hide some away," to "keep extra, you know, just in case." The ant does it because he is storing up for the winter, but for us winter isn't in our minds, it's worry. Ok, here are Jesus' words and then I want to make one comment at the end-

Mat 6:25 "For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?
Mat 6:26 "Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?
Mat 6:27 "And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?
Mat 6:28 "And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin,
Mat 6:29 yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. Mat 6:30 "But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith!
Mat 6:31 "Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?'
Mat 6:32 "For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.
Mat 6:33 "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
Mat 6:34 "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

The imperitive from Jesus is clear for me, "do not worry!" Why? Because of two things, and these are important, 1. God cares about me, and 2. God knows what I need. Jesus says that if I know those two things I can deal a death blow to worry. It's all about knowing God, and his part in my life. If he is the sovereign God of the universe, and he is, then his care for me and his knowledge of my needs makes all the difference in the world.
Want to deal with worry? Take a good look at who loves you and cares for you and, like a child trusting his parent for all he needs, worry will disappear from your thoughts.

10 comments:

susan in fm said...

I used to say I come from a long line of worriers. I don't worry near as much as I used to, but it does creep in at times. It's a hard habit to break, isn't it?

I love that "peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension" when it comes because it's a miracle to me as a recovering worrier. "Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." With Your help, Lord, I will.

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, and i think i'll visit your church.
are u the pastor? are you teaching a sermon tomorrow?
what time?
becky.

Anonymous said...

These words couldn't have come at a better time. Thank you for putting that so well Mike. I too tend to worry about EVERTHING. I liked your ant illustration.

Tommy and I are praying for you.
Tara White

Mike Messerli said...

Mike Messerli said...
Becky, thank you for your comments. I am one of the pastors at CBC, but tomorrow Pete Briscoe, pastor of Bentree Bible Church, will be speaking all day. He offered to come to help us, and we are honored to have him with us for the day. I will be speaking next week. Our services are at 9 and 10:45 am, and 5 and 6:30 pm. If you come, please look for me, I would love to meet you.

Mike Messerli said...

Tara,
thanks for your comments. I so appreciate your prayers.

susan in fm said...

Mike - I'm glad you posted what's happening tomorrow at church because I've kind of been floundering, wondering what to expect this week. Rats, I just started crying thinking about going to church tomorrow. I thought I was done with that part. *sniff*

Mike Messerli said...

Susan,

I'm sorry. It is hard. It has been a huge shock for all of us, and yet the church is alive and well, and God is working miracles. It has been amazing to see what God is doing even in the middle of this situation, so do come, and let's work together and watch what God does.

susan in fm said...

Mike, thanks for your gentle, comforting words. I wouldn't miss it for anything.

Kathy said...

Just what makes that little old ant, think he could move a pile of Ritz crackers?

The task is overwhelming. Seemingly impossible. But with God, the fear is removed...the peace that passes all understanding is provided.

I'm glad Pete is coming. I'm hoping that we will use the resources available to us in the metroplex and DTS so that our own staff can be ministered to...without piling more on their plates. That includes you, Mike. (But thanks for teaching next week!)

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike, I'm running quickly through my long list of blogs that I read. When I read your first sentence, I thought you said "I am a WARRIOR" and I thought, "oh yeah, you GO, Mike!" Be strong and courageous and in the power of the Lord!

And then I kept on reading and thought "huh???" so I went back and read it correctly...you went from warrior to worrier in about 10 seconds flat! hahahaha

But really, you ARE a warrior in God's Army, fighting a very real enemy, as are all Christians. We're a "Band of Brothers & Sisters" for the Lord. I'm praying for my army buddies!

Pretty cool, huh?