Friday, May 15, 2009

Faith in God


I have a number of good friends who are pilots. These are amazing guys. They train for countless hours to be able to fly huge airplanes around the world. If you have ever seen an airplane cockpit you would be amazed at how many lights, buttons and switches there are and these guys know what they are for and are able to hop in the cockpit seat and fly anywhere. They all confess to their love for flying and honestly I love it too. I'm one of the flock in the back trusting my life to a few others who have trained their whole lives to fly this airplane to the place I want to travel. I trust them. I trust that they are up there and know what they are doing.
...
Imagine someone saying, "there is no pilot up there. This plane flies itself." Although we may not see them we know someone is flying the airplane. We know there is intelligence in charge because we are traveling in a machine that must have a pilot to fly to a specific destination. That cannot happen without someone flying the airplane. And yet, almost as absurd as that sounds, others say "there is no God, this planet flies itself, this universe is on its own." Even as I write those words they seem absurd. How can this amazing universe, much more complex that a jet airplane, be what it is without a pilot, a designer, a creator? I know I may be called simple for this, but simple seems very logical.
...
When I'm flying across the globe I'm glad someone knows where we are going, someone has a map, someone is in charge. When I'm flying through my life, as quickly as it is passing, I'm glad there's someone who knows where I'm going, someone who has a map for me to navigate by, someone who is in charge. I'm glad I believe in God. It would be a fearsome universe without someone in the cockpit.

No comments: