Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Stress tests

(World Magazine)
The stresses of our day cause many fears and worries. The economy. War. Job loss. World events. The list goes on for paragraphs...the list of things to worry about. I know many who are worried because they have lost their job. They aren't sure when they will find another one and their resources are running thin. It is a most unnerving time in history. It seems to be a time when all the foundations we trust in are being shaken. If you can't trust in government, the stock market, your savings, your job.....then what can you trust in? If you read this blog regularly you know my answer, but what I want to do today is share a few of the verses I go to when the stresses and worries of life begin to make me fearful. I hope they help you.
...
Philippians 4:6-7- Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
...
Matthew 11:28-30- "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
...
Proverbs 3:5-6- Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.
...
And, finally, my favorite. The one I read almost weekly and have given to many, many others as God's prescription for the worries of the days. If the stresses of these days are overwhelming you, then my prescription for you is to read these words every day for the next two weeks. It will change your focus from living an events focused life to a God focused life. Things are much easier if you know who's in charge.
...
Psalm 37:1-9- A Psalm of David. Do not fret because of evildoers, Be not envious toward wrongdoers. For they will wither quickly like the grass And fade like the green herb. Trust in the LORD and do good; Dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness. Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, and He will do it. He will bring forth your righteousness as the light And your judgment as the noonday. Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for Him; Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, Because of the man who carries out wicked schemes. Cease from anger and forsake wrath; Do not fret; it leads only to evildoing. For evildoers will be cut off, But those who wait for the LORD, they will inherit the land.
...

4 comments:

Schweers' Mom said...

I will never forget when you spoke about the idea of "fretting" and that it was like taking a piece of fabric and rubbing it continuously between your fingers until it wore thin. That image is permanently emblazoned in my mind's eye.

Thanks for the reminder. My blog was about stress yesterday. It is indeed a stressful time for our family for more than just the job situation. Somedays it's hard for me to see that it will EVER end.

Mike Messerli said...

Lori,

I had already written this post and then read your blog yesterday. I thought that you might comment when this post went live. I am praying for you. I know you will see God's wonderful care through these days.

Schweers' Mom said...

Thanks, Mike! I'm just thankful that for today, we have what we need and that I am going to see my wonderful mom in SC for a week. It's nice when you can still go home to your mom for some TLC.

Anonymous said...

i only get stressed, ALL the time!
its when i am still and remember that my God is always with me and that he acts for me that the stress melts away. Unfortunately in the past couple of years i have let my ambition amp up the stress once again. Needed my sweet brother in law to remind me that "God is always with me and acts for me" thanks Mikey