Saturday, May 23, 2009

Strange stories from a pastor


I had a busy day today! Early morning counseling, a funeral after lunch and then rushing to a wedding late in the day. I am tired, but it was a good day. What I want to share with you is something said at the funeral. Funerals provide really funny stories at times because in the midst of our sorrow and grief we sometimes speak without thinking. One of the speakers this afternoon shared a few thoughts on the life of the one who died and in his statements he said, "I know we all admire her early indiscretions...." I was listening before this statement, but when he said this I perked up. What was he talking about? I'm sure I can honestly say that what I heard is not what he meant to say, but say it he did. I didn't follow up on this, these kind of mistakes are best left alone, but it's forever burned into my brain now, and I wonder....what did he really mean. My sermon that followed was a little harder because I was thinking about this strange statement made about the life of the one we were there to remember.. It's fortunate that most people don't listen to what's said at funerals so I'm sure this wasn't even heard by most, but it sure caught my ear. It's just another strange story from a pastor.
...
(Photo added for expression purposes only. I loved the photo and it fit. It's not connected to the story at all, just cute.)

No comments: