Wednesday, May 06, 2009

A little in God's hands



I'm constantly amazed at my own lack of faith in difficult days. I become fearful, worry, fret and generally think that all my problems and their solutions are mine to resolve. But then I read the bible and I see Jesus. It always humbles me and I must confess my lack of faith and once more trust in him. He models over and over his ability to meet our needs in the gospels, and if we will trust him, he continues to do the same today. In Matthew 14 there is the story of a large crowd who has come to Jesus in a desolate place to hear him speak and to be healed. It's late in the day and night is coming. The people are hungry, but there is no place to get food in this place. In this situation the disciples come to Jesus late in the day and ask him to send the people away so they can get something to eat. Here's Jesus response-

...
Mat 14:16 But Jesus said to them, "They do not need to go away; you give them something to eat!"
Mat 14:17 They *said to Him, "We have here only five loaves and two fish."
Mat 14:18 And He said, "Bring them here to Me."
...
I don't know all that ran through the disciples minds as this unfolded, but I wonder, did they ask Jesus to send them away so they could eat? They only had a little and it would be embarrassing to eat in front of 5,000 hungry people and not give them any of the food. But what does Jesus do? He tells the disciples to bring him their lunches. I think the disciples know that they will not get to eat this meal they had saved for themselves, but they have no idea what Jesus is about to do. The verse that caught my attention this morning was verse 18 and Jesus' words, "Bring them to Me." It wasn't much, but giving it to Jesus made all the difference in the world. From that small meal he fed 5,000 with food left over! I often think I don't have much God can work with, but it's that little bit offered to him that can be multiplied to feed thousands. Once again I'm made aware that God can care for me when there seems to be little to work with. The world tells me I need savings, investments, CD's, and other assets to be able to live well. Jesus tells me to simply bring my little bit to him and he will provide for my needs. How easily I forget that the God of the universe has promised to care for me and provide for me. How easily I forget....

No comments: