Thursday, August 16, 2007

Songs we'll sing in heaven

This morning, in my reading, I finished 1 Chronicles. As I was reading I came to this passage,

1Ch 29:10 So David blessed the LORD in the sight of all the assembly; and David said, "Blessed are You, O LORD God of Israel our father, forever and ever.
1Ch 29:11 "Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, indeed everything that is in the heavens and the earth; Yours is the dominion, O LORD, and You exalt Yourself as head over all.
1Ch 29:12 "Both riches and honor come from You, and You rule over all, and in Your hand is power and might; and it lies in Your hand to make great and to strengthen everyone.
1Ch 29:13 "Now therefore, our God, we thank You, and praise Your glorious name.


As I read it I thought, "hey, these are the same words that are written in Rev. 5:13!" So I began to think.....did God take David's praise and make it our praise in heaven? And that brought another question to my mind....will some of our worship songs be songs we will sing in heaven too?

So let me ask, if we could vote on which praise and worship songs we will sing in heaven which song would you pick? This should be fun, I look forward to your choices, and from that we will build a "top 10" list of worship songs for heaven.....ok?

11 comments:

Schweers' Mom said...

Hmm...as long as the songs don't include "awesome" or "amazing" I think I'll be ok with them.

In His Grip said...

Mike,

Here's my top 10 and yes must have at least one "amazing"

10. Come, now is the time to
worship
9. Holy is the Lord
8. Freedom
7. How great is our God
6. Indescribable
5. Open the eyes to my heart
4. I can only imagine
3. Your grace is enough
2. Blessed be your name
1. Amazing Grace

Have a blessed day.
Bob

Anonymous said...

I have trumpets in my songs. Lots of brass -- little vocal. Maybe I just want to let the music move me in heaven.

A song that makes me think of heaven is Canzon Primi Toni. I heard it at a concert last spring and my son and I decided it sounded like heaven. We even came home to see if the itunes store had it (they did). You know it's a great song with a 10 year old boy wants to download a song written in 1597. :-)

Kathy said...

Great is Thy Faithfulness!

Mike Messerli said...

Joye and I were talking at dinner tonight and agreed on one song that we WON'T be singing in heaven- "I can only imagine" by Mercy Me...

Schweers' Mom said...

Ok, Bob - I'll give you "Amazing Grace." That's a good one and a very good use of "amazing."

Mike - love the discussion you and Joye had. Too funny!

Kathy - I agree with your selection, too.

But will we be able to sing songs in other languages????

The Toneman said...

Given the text and the alluding to them in Revelation, I would say some version of "Agnus Dei" and maybe "Holy Holy Holy Lord God Almighty." All of them, none of them to me it won't matter. All I know is I can't wait to hear them and sing them, because it will be the one place & time where we will ALL be worshiping in Spirit and in Truth. No fighting, no complaining, no tears! Amen!

Mike Messerli said...

The great thing for me is that it will be the first time I will be able to sing in key!

Looking forward to that!!!

Brent said...

Even in The Kingdom, I doubt seriously that many of the songs I want to sing will be on the Heavenly Top 10. But "At The Moment" by Stavesacre will be the doorbell chime by the door of my dwelling place.

cookiehawk77 said...

Too many to choose from, and I don't know that many (relatively). Like Tony,I'll just be glad to be worshiping perfectly! And besides, aren't we supposed to sing a NEW song unto the Lord? I think we'll come up with all sorts of new songs!

Anonymous said...

It is hard to select from many that emcompass our worship of the Lord. I'll have to agree with btb on Indescribable and Holy is the Lord, as well as Amazing Grace. But I think that the song this past year that comes to thought is The Revelation Song. It is such a powerful song describing God on the throne. I anticipate what the top 10 will be.