Saturday, August 11, 2007

My readings today

This morning part of my time in the bible was in 1 Chronicles. Honestly, there are sections of this book that make my eyes glaze over! I know I shouldn't admit that, but you were thinking it, I just thought I would get it out in the open. Here's an example from my reading this morning-

1Ch 24:7 Now the first lot came out for Jehoiarib, the second for Jedaiah,
1Ch 24:8 the third for Harim, the fourth for Seorim,
1Ch 24:9 the fifth for Malchijah, the sixth for Mijamin,
1Ch 24:10 the seventh for Hakkoz, the eighth for Abijah,
1Ch 24:11 the ninth for Jeshua, the tenth for Shecaniah,
1Ch 24:12 the eleventh for Eliashib, the twelfth for Jakim,
1Ch 24:13 the thirteenth for Huppah, the fourteenth for Jeshebeab,
1Ch 24:14 the fifteenth for Bilgah, the sixteenth for Immer,
1Ch 24:15 the seventeenth for Hezir, the eighteenth for Happizzez,
1Ch 24:16 the nineteenth for Pethahiah, the twentieth for Jehezkel,
1Ch 24:17 the twenty-first for Jachin, the twenty-second for Gamul,
1Ch 24:18 the twenty-third for Delaiah, the twenty-fourth for Maaziah.
1Ch 24:19 These were their offices for their ministry when they came in to the house of the LORD according to the ordinance given to them through Aaron their father, just as the LORD God of Israel had commanded him.


1 Chronicles is filled with lists of names for different purposes. As I have read through these sections over the years, rather let me clarify....skimmed over these verses...I have wondered many times, why did God put this in the bible? It would have been a much smaller book without these lists, and immensly more interesting in parts....so why are they in there? Let me give a few suggetions-

1. The record is important for the Jewish nation.
2. These people are important to God.
3. It helps me to see that no work for God is forgotten. These names and people are long gone and forgotten except for God's remembering them. So my little contribution will not be forgotten either? Possibly.
4. I don't know....there's my honest answer....there are some passages of scripture that make me scratch my head...that's why I'm almost bald! I just don't know.

I carry around a book full of names of people who are only remembered here....most have been dead for several thousand years, and yet we read about them in the bible...God sure has a funny way of doing things....but I really like it.....people are important to God.....

So, next time you read one of these lists slow down a little and ask, "who were these people? will I see them in the future? they are only names in a list, but they lived....what do I do with this passage?"

The more I dwell on it the more curious I become....I look forward to putting a face to a name someday and asking them about their walk with God. Eternity should be a lot of fun!

1 comment:

cookiehawk77 said...

I also find the lists boring. I never thought about actually meeting those guys someday. How cool is that?

And I always thought the genealogies were to be able to prove the parentage and tribe of people like David and Jesus.