Thursday, January 28, 2016

Ashes









Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
naked I’ll return to the womb of the earth.
God gives, God takes.
God’s name be ever blessed.
Not once through all this did Job sin; not once did he blame God.  -Job 1

I spend so much time in my life chasing ashes.  I hate to admit it, but I do.  Advertising is to blame for my desire for this pile of ashes, then that pile of ashes.

It looks like a new computer to you or that dress you love so much.  It might smell like that new car you want so badly or the house you can't wait to own....but it's all ashes.

One day it will all rust, decay or burn up...one day it will all be ashes.

Dr. Henry Brandt said, "The goal of my life is not to get to the end of it and compare my pile of ashes to your pile of ashes."

How do we get so focused on the things that are so worthless?  How do the toys of this world enthrall us so easily?  We skip over the precious things and desire ashes.  What is wrong with us?  How are we so blind that we prefer the things that won't last rather than the eternal things?

We are like children who open all the gifts under the Christmas tree and then play with the boxes.

Around us are eternal precious things and we crave the ash heap.  A sad race, aren't we?  

Lord, help us see what you see.  Help us hunger and thirst for the eternal things, the things that you care about.  And help us to see the ashes of the world for what they really are.  We have been people of the ash for far too long.  Help us to see.


No comments: