Monday, January 18, 2016

One thing

"Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,"  -Phil. 3:13

Paul was the model of a man on a quest to know God, to follow him, to obey him.  He held nothing back.  He was a man who gave all he had, all he was to know this Christ who had sought him out and saved him.

He was on a quest....a quest to know Christ.  

There is a lot to distract us these days.  The world around us captivates and captures our attentions.  We wander from this pleasure to that desire.  We are easily distracted by a world that wants us to enjoy every moment, live to the full.....but you know all that.  As I write it seems I'm just stating the obvious.

So let me be direct, specific, honest.  How focused am I?  Do I have one thing that is most important or 20 that have me spinning to capture and attain them all?  Do I know where I'm going?  Why?  Do I have that "one thing" Paul described? 

I fear not. 

The world distracts me, the devil confuses me, my desires betray me and I miss the most important thing of all....knowing Christ.

Lord, help me set aside all the distractions and pursue you alone.  Help me not be distracted by all the things around us that want our time, attention and money.  Help me, like Paul, live for one thing...knowing Christ.

No comments: