Monday, February 12, 2007

You know you're getting old when...


Ok, I'm sitting with my coffee this morning and thinking....
I'm getting old!
I realized it more clearly last night as we did worship with music that was much too loud for me. To my surprise and delight a number of people told me they loved it!
So, today here are some thoughts on the subtle aging dynamics that sneak up on all of us....it goes like this- "You know you're getting old when...."
Here are a few of mine to get started:
You know you're getting old when you suddenly realize you are completely out of step with culture and didn't even know it had happened.
You know you're getting old when the youth pastor has to remind you to change your illustrations because young people won't get them.
You know you're getting old when you get up in the morning and forget what you ate last night.
You know you're getting old when you wake up at 3 am, and consider that a great nights sleep (compared to most!)
You know you're getting old when you don't have to comb your hair anymore...why bother, there isn't enough to worry about.
You know you're getting old when you forget things, and when you finally realize it you don't care! (That's a great day!)
Ok, there are a few...let me invite you to add you own to the list. I had more, but I forgot them...is that a sign of getting old too?

12 comments:

Pony and Petey said...

You know you're getting old when you suddenly realize that the adult you're hanging out with and consider a friend is really young enough to be your daughter! YIKES!!

I don't feel old enough to be anyone's mother! hahahahahaha

Anonymous said...

...the "early bird special" at the resturant doesn't seem so early.
...a college sorority throws a retro party in the decade you graduated from high school. (An 80's RETRO party -- what's up with that?!)
...your expensive accessories change from a handbag and a nice pair of shoes to a hearing aid and a nice pair of teeth.

More later...my bladder won't let me sit for very long. Hmm...

Cheri said...

Good morning Mike!

I love your blog. Many times it puts a smile on my face and/or a thought in my heart. :)

Do you like Dallas Willard's books? If so and you haven't yet you might want to pick up The Great Omission. If you do I'd love to know what you think.

Here's to a blessed day! Thanks for blessing mine. :)

susan in fm said...

The music was a bit much for me, too - but I guess I wasn't expecting to feel like I was at a concert! We have one kid that is very sensitive to loud noises, so we'll start bringing earplugs. :) No offense to the musicians or anything - we can roll with it!

Mike Messerli said...

Susan,

It won't be that way every week....just once in a while. They say that sometimes it will be quiet, and worshipful...and once in a while loud and worshipful. So bring the plugs, but I'm told this is not a weekly style. Thanks for the comments on "rolling with it".

Cheri,
I do like Dallas Willard, in fact I'm in the middle of his book, "The divine conspiracy" right now! I didn't want to recommend it until I finished it, and it's over 400 pages. But I like his way of thinking a lot, and will get the book you recommend. thanks.

Unknown said...

Mike,

You know you are getting old when you read a post from a friend's blog about getting old and you laugh because you relate to it... and then you look at his picture and think... "that guy has to be much older than me" then pass a mirror in the hall and come back and say "He might be, but you are right behind him aren't you bud!"

Sometime when I was about 35 I lost the ability to tell how old someone was who was younger than myself. Our worship leader at church looks like a young kid about 19/20 and he is in his 30's. I hired a young lady at work thinking she was in her mid 20's and found out she had just turned 20... this happens too much.

Blessings,
iggy

Kathy said...

Say it isn't so!

I hate it when I find out that I'm older than my doctor (any doctor). Unfortunately, that is mostly true these days as all the doctors my age are retiring :)

Drats!

GramCrackers said...

Memory is the SECOND thing to go. The first is....ummmm...I don't remember!

Brent said...

How about these:

You know you're old when the youth pastor is in his 40's.

or

You know you're old when you go with the youth pastor to get his tattoo and then don't get one despite all his attempts at peer pressure...when you KNOW you really want to get one!

Zach said...

...When the old guy with gray hair that you work with hears your age and says, "Ok, so your not THAT young."

Samantha Louise said...

Mike you are awesome! I'm so glad that I found this blog! haha.

Mike Messerli said...

Samantha,

thank you. I enjoyed your blog as well. Thanks for your kind words.