Friday, February 23, 2007

A word from God



I'm reading through the book of Jeremiah as part of my daily reading and have come to chapter 23. It's a profound chapter addressing the problems of their day AND ours. God says to Jeremiah,


Jer 23:23 "Am I not a God near at hand"--GOD's Decree-- "and not a God far off?
Jer 23:24 Can anyone hide out in a corner where I can't see him?" GOD's Decree. "Am I not present everywhere, whether seen or unseen?" GOD's Decree.
Jer 23:25 "I know what they're saying, all these prophets who preach lies using me as their text, saying 'I had this dream! I had this dream!'
Jer 23:26 How long do I have to put up with this? Do these prophets give two cents about me as they preach their lies and spew out their grandiose delusions?
Jer 23:27 They swap dreams with one another, feed on each other's delusive dreams, trying to distract my people from me just as their ancestors were distracted by the no-god Baal.
Jer 23:28 "You prophets who do nothing but dream-- go ahead and tell your silly dreams. But you prophets who have a message from me-- tell it truly and faithfully. What does straw have in common with wheat? Nothing else is like GOD's Decree.
Jer 23:29 Isn't my Message like fire?" GOD's Decree. "Isn't it like a sledgehammer busting a rock?
Jer 23:30 "I've had it with the 'prophets' who get all their sermons secondhand from each other.
Jer 23:31 Yes, I've had it with them. They make up stuff and then pretend it's a real sermon.
Jer 23:32 "Oh yes, I've had it with the prophets who preach the lies they dream up, spreading them all over the country, ruining the lives of my people with their cheap and reckless lies. "I never sent these prophets, never authorized a single one of them. They do nothing for this people--nothing!" GOD's Decree.
Jer 23:33 "And anyone, including prophets and priests, who asks, 'What's GOD got to say about all this, what's troubling him?' tell him, 'You, you're the trouble, and I'm getting rid of you.'" GOD's Decree.
Jer 23:34 "And if anyone, including prophets and priests, goes around saying glibly 'GOD's Message! GOD's Message!' I'll punish him and his family.
Jer 23:35 "Instead of claiming to know what GOD says, ask questions of one another, such as 'How do we understand GOD in this?'
Jer 23:36 But don't go around pretending to know it all, saying 'God told me this . . . God told me that. . . .' I don't want to hear it anymore. Only the person I authorize speaks for me. Otherwise, my Message gets twisted, the Message of the living GOD-of-the-Angel-Armies.
Jer 23:37 "You can ask the prophets, 'How did GOD answer you? What did he tell you?'
Jer 23:38 But don't pretend that you know all the answers yourselves and talk like you know it all. I'm telling you: Quit the 'God told me this . . . God told me that . . .' kind of talk.
Jer 23:39 "Are you paying attention? You'd better, because I'm about to take you in hand and throw you to the ground, you and this entire city that I gave to your ancestors. I've had it with the lot of you.
Jer 23:40 You're never going to live this down. You're going down in history as a disgrace."


  • It's amazing- I hear that God is speaking to the church today as well! I hear it from Christians often, "The Lord told me...." and off they go on some wonderful new revelation, but when I ask them if they are spending time in God's word I must tell you that I am greatly disappointed. Most Christians I run into do not spend time in God's word AT ALL! I am really disappointed by that. If this is true in other parts of the church in America we are in trouble.
  • No one is willing to invest their time in the living word of God, but indulge new revelations like a wonderful piece of candy. It's almost as if they do not really want to hear what God really says, but would rather get some "word from God" to direct them and short-cut the very book God gave the church to help us grow up.
  • I am tired of it. I am tired of hearing "The Lord told me" (when I know, after I hear what he supposedly said, that he didn't speak to them at all!) I am tired of people not caring enough about God to take even 5 minutes to spend in his word. I'm tired of the very things God speaks about in this passage in Jeremiah 23.
  • So, having heard it, and seen it for many years now let me give you my insiders view- If someone says, "the Lord told me" I will almost guarantee they didn't get it from the bible, nor are they spending any time in the bible. I will almost guarantee they wouldn't know the voice of God if he spoke out loud from heaven. I will almost guarantee that these "revelations" are pride based....(I hear from God and you don't!)
  • Well, enough of that. I have wanted to say something about this for years, and never have, so now...there it is. For my charismatic brothers- get in the word and see what God really says. For my evangelical brothers- get in the word and see what God really says. Then, when you say, "Can I share with you what I found in the word that really spoke to me?" I'm there! I'm all ears....that's my kind of word from God!

Now I know I will hear from some saying, "but doesn't God speak today?" Yes he does...and that's a visit for another post. But for today....get in his word and let him speak to you!

8 comments:

Schweers' Mom said...

Amen, Mike.

I wonder how much we as the "church" are doing to encourage folks to get in the Word? I run across too many who look to the the Bible "teacher" for the answers instead of looking for it themselves. I know God would much rather teach them the answer personally than tell me what the answer is for them. I think too many think that Bible study is a big mystery and hard to do and only for those scholarly types (I used to be of that mindset until I just started studying for myself!). Yes, there are hard passages, but I do have a resident teacher (the Holy Spirit) who is quite capable of handling those difficult passages when I need to understand them. It would be amazing to see how many misconceptions about God could be cleared up by just reading what He has to say about Himself. Now there's a novel idea!

Mike Messerli said...

Lori,

I agree. I just don't know how to get the church to make this choice. I was with two guys for breakfast, and they both admitted they "just don't have time to get in the word." I was nice, but very disappointed inside...they are samples of most, and that's not good news for the Christian church in America.

Great comments, thanks.

Kathy said...

Love it. Love it. Appreciate you writing it out and spreading it as needed.

My hubby and I say...if someone claims "God said such and such"....it was probably the pizza you ate last night or a bad enchilada....Liver quivers...that are not founded in the Word of God.

The only way to know that it is truly God speaking is to be in the Word, lining up the liver quivers with scripture. If it ain't there, it's the pizza.

Cheri said...

Hi Mike,

I read your comments this morning before I went to church. I've been giving it thought through the day.

I'm not sure this is the response you might expect but it is where my mind has been going on this subject of hearing from the Lord. It seems to me that hearing from the Lord is not something that should produce pride in us or even a sense of certainty. It produces courage to walk by faith and then the truth is confirmed and in God's great mercy the deceptions are revealed. If anything it is deeply humbling. Whatever God has to say is also seldom if ever an easy thing to hear. So many times God has had to say the same thing over in a 1000 different ways in order for me to really hear it. Then it takes me a very long time to warm up to the idea that I would be willing to obey. And then the realization that I wouldn't be able to obey what He is teaching me apart from being united with Him usally hits somewhere along the way.

I'm hoping that the fact that you've caused me by your comments to consider this will help me to engage in coversation with someone who shares something they testify to being from the Lord. After thinking through this I feel better equipped to probed that a little bit.

If they are not open to being probed at the time I think it becomes our responsiblity to pray that the Lord will make a way for the conversation to take place at a future date.

Two things made me appreciate and desire time in the word of God. There were people in my life testifying to its life giving and life changing power. They weren't just telling me to read it. They were showing me that it was effective in their lives. I think we sometimes make the mistake of telling people they should spend time in the word and maybe we should take that out of our language and instead testify to what God has done for us today or yestersday or the day before through our encounter with the Word.

The second thing that made it irresistable is that God met me there. He taught me. He has done countless things for me as I have spent time in the Word. So maybe we need to challenge believers to approach the Word of God expecting that God wants to do the same for them. But warn them that they will have to committ their lives to it and it is something that you grow in. It is not a light switch experience. I think sometimes the way we introduce it makes it seem like we're offering a light switch experience. So many give up I think because they see it as an academic excerise. While the mind in certainly involved we're not really inviting them to an academic experience.

I also think that one of the keys to the mess were in is our complete mistrust and lack of understanding concerning humilty. I don't know how much God will do with a bunch of know it alls. We are so puffed up with pride as a culture that we are very unteachable. God has to break this cultural norm in us.

So you got me a little worked up and I'm the better for it! :)

You also need to know that you may be having a hard time getting through to the masses. Aren't we all. :) But God is using you to inspire many many people to take relationship with Jesus Christ seriously. They are attracted to the light of Christ they see in you. When they get to the end of themselves those who maybe haven't listened yet will remember that you advised them to turn to Jesus. Keep planting those seeds. Keep probing the hard questions! Keep writing things that you've wanted to get off your chest as you sense the Holy Spirit leading you to do so!

Cheri

P.S. - Have you ever read A Severe Mercy? It blew me away this weekend.

Mike Messerli said...

Cheri,

thanks for the great thoughts. I am so blessed by your thoughts, and how God is working in your life. thank you.

re. A severe mercy...funny you should ask, Joye is reading it this weekend as well and is reading large portion to me...I will have to read it myself after what she has shared with me.

Cheri said...

Hi Mike,

God works in mysterious ways. And I was so afraid that I shouldn't have mentioned another book so soon after saying something about the Great Omission.

Cheri

vincit omnia veritas said...

Thanks Pastor for the good post. Very timely and appropriate. Please continue to share with us your insights in the Word.

God bless,
Vincent

Samantha Louise said...

Very good!!! Great post!!!!