Monday, February 05, 2007

Running for the prize

1Co 9:24 You've all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. 1Co 9:25 All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You're after one that's gold eternally. 1Co 9:26 I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! 1Co 9:27 I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself. (THE MESSAGE)


I have lived long enough to watch the lives of many men and women, and am very aware of the challenges of living a life for the glory of God. I've seen a lot of men I looked up to fail in their quest for the finish line, or worse yet, simply quit the race before the end. I don't want to fail in my quest for the victory. I want to run across the finish line with my hands held high and a smile on my face. I want to finish well. But I know that to get that done I have to live intentionally. This kind of life doesn't just happen, you have to "train" for it.


There's something else you need to know that I have found out....it's hard work! It takes discipline. You won't simply finish the race without an idea of where the finish line is. A race is intentional- it involves training, preparation, pain, patience and knowing the course, and one more thing...at times it's lonely. We each run the race individually. Although the Christian life is done in community, the race is a solo event. So it's vital that we have our time with the family of God to give us strength for the solo portions of the race. Community is like coming to a rest stop- water, bananas, fruit, a smile, a pat on the back, and off we go again....alone. But in those moments of community we were bolstered to continue the race. We got the help we needed to continue to the end.


There is the race- your walk with God. You must run that by yourself, but realize you are on the course with millions of others heading for the finish line as well. Help those who are tired, encourage those who want to give up. Smile at those who are discouraged. Community means we, in our own races to the finish, are running with others on the road as well. It's a strange life- a solo race done in community. We must do part of it by ourselves, but we can't do it well without others in community with us.


Run in such a way that you will get the prize, and help others reach their prize as well.

What a race!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I quote you in a future blog? I really like the way you described the race.

Mike Messerli said...

yes, of course, use anything I write freely.

thanks for asking.