Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Deep thoughts, part 4

Ok, now for some deep thoughts from a shallow mind. Realize that profound is just a word to me, and I live in the world of application (so what do I do with that?) So my thoughts will not stir you to great heights, but I do hope they will encourage you.

A few days ago I was working through some thoughts and came up with a new way to describe those who really enjoy the adventure of living- life adventurers. That concept has stuck with me and continued to make me think. Now these special people are few in our world, because so few realize who they are and what they have been given. It's a small club, membership is required. Membership is faith in Christ as savior. Only then do we have real life in the first place, only then do we even begin to begin the adventure, only then do we begin to see all that God has given us, only then are our eyes open to what an adventure this life with God can be. And yet there are so few of us...so few of those who have life who are enjoying the adventure. Most are still trying to act like the world. Most are still trying to fit in. Most are too afraid of God to trust him....yes, we will trust him for salvation, but thank you very much, we will handle the rest....and so we miss the adventure.

The model for life adventurers is Peter. Here's where his adventure really began-

Mat 14:25 And in the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea.
Mat 14:26 When the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out in fear.
Mat 14:27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, "Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid."
Mat 14:28 Peter said to Him, "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water."
Mat 14:29 And He said, "Come!" And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus.
Mat 14:30 But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!"
Mat 14:31 Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and *said to him, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?"


For the rest of his life Peter had this night to think about, this adventure that changed his life....he had walked on water! It's funny that he still struggled so, yet he chose the adventure rather than the safety of the boat. I wonder how many of the 11 in the boat thought, "I wish I would have tried that. I wonder what it was like."

Life adventurers.....willing to step out of the safety of what we know, and choosing to trust God.

It be will exciting to see what God will do in the lives of those who choose the adventure.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Adventure indeed! Its a great adventure!

P.S. I think you are living in a unique adventure specifically. Are you able to time jump? Your blog is timestamped tomorrow morning...

Samantha Louise said...

ahhhh how I love the adventures that we have with Christ! love it! Even the tough ones! haha :)

Brandon and Jenny said...

I agree!

Man, now I tell you, Mike, not everyday feels like an adventure, but OH the joy when we get out of the boat!

And honestly, the world is pretty boring compared to a stroll in the waves with Jesus.

Thanks for that!