Monday, January 04, 2016

Living with uncovered faces



"And we, who with unveiled faces
 all reflect the Lord's glory, 
are being transformed into his likeness 
with ever-increasing glory, 
which comes from the Lord, 
who is the Spirit."
2 Corinthians 3

Often, as I read Paul's words, I am amazed that he writes such profound words as if they are simple thoughts.  This one verse encapsulates mountains of words to unpack it!

Let me do something strange with this verse to help explain it, let me write it backwards...

"The Holy Spirit, who is actually the Lord, with more and more glory each day, is transforming us into the image of Christ, so that his glory will be seen in us who live with uncovered faces....faces uncovered to God...faces that the world can see God through."

The Trinity: Father, Son and Spirit are all working in us with one goal in mind...that we might look like him and that the world will see that.  It's his grand plan of redemption in broken, fallen men so that his glory will be seen.

Anytime the world sees a bit of God in you or me it's because of God's work.  He is working to make us like Christ.  

Isn't that amazing?  And so he leaves us in the world so that those who are lost might see broken lives transformed....sinners becoming saints, liars becoming truth tellers, thieves becoming honest men, immoral men becoming Godly.

Day by day, bit by bit, the glory of God is being seen more clearly in each of his children as Father, Son and Spirit transform us into the image of Christ.  It's a wonderful work that only God could do, but there is one requirement....you have to be available for the work to proceed.  

You and I have to submit to the construction.  Let me be clear, it will ultimately happen for a child of God even if they resist, but for God to work in your life you have to come to him and simply be available for the work he wants to do.

There are days, I have to admit that it is painful.  My ego gets bruised, my pride is abased, my feelings are humbled....but day by day the glory of God is being seen more clearly through me.  I can't wait to see what I will look like when he is done.....

....but wait, I already know....I'll look like Jesus!





No comments: