Saturday, January 13, 2007

Life lived well

I spent some time this week holding the hands of a dear saint with hands like these, well worn hands. Hands that had seen many years. Hands that had raised babies, cooked meals, washed clothes, loved her family. Hands that were tired. She used her hands well. She knew the Lord, and was ready to let those well worn hands rest. She was ready to go home, and did pass just a day ago. She has the joy of being with Christ even as I write this. I didn't know her as well as I would have liked, but I knew those hands. I have held many hands like them over the years. I have seen and cared for many dear ones whose hands were used well, who lived well and used their hands to heal and help instead of hurt. One of my great joys and griefs is to help people with their last journey of this life- death.

I have held the hands of many as they left this world for the next, many friends I think of now and still miss dearly. I love those hands! The hands given to the use of God, lives dedicated to serve the kingdom of God. Those hands are dear to God, and their work will be rewarded. Their efforts are not in vain.

There is a reward for what we do here. Often I don't feel that what I do is that important, but God does. He values each life given to him, each hand used for his kingdom, each smile shared for Christ. Death is not the end of our lives, there is a day when we will see the reward for the work our hands have done...those well worn hands used for God.


Heb 6:18 God can't break his word. And because his word cannot change, the promise is likewise unchangeable. We who have run for our very lives to God have every reason to grab the promised hope with both hands and never let go. (The Message)


Ecc 9:10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might; for there is no activity or planning or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol where you are going. (NASB)

No comments: