Monday, January 22, 2007

A Grandpa's first date

Well, tonight I ventured out on my first "date" with one of my granddaughters. It was her idea (I should have thought of it first) but she has been asking for an outing for over a month, so off we go to the mall.

Candy, ice cream, fairy wings, a crown, time spent in toy stores and a lot of talk...it was great!

She will have a sugar buzz for hours, but we both had a great time. It's been years since I spent some one on one time with a small child, in fact the last time I really got to do this was with my own daughter, so it was a special treat to spend time with one of her daughters.

I think it's an event I will need to repeat with the other girls in the near future....in fact, when they saw the "haul" this first one made I KNOW I am destined for more of these wonderful outings.

I look forward to each one. (And, no, it wasn't necessary to use duct tape.)

4 comments:

Kathy said...

LOVE the picture. Made my heart giggle. Glad you had a good time!

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

Back in the mid 1990's my second nephew was a very energetic little toddler. He was loads of fun and work but I used to jokingly threaten to tape him to the back door to settle him down.:) I would hold his back up to the door and he would laugh.

GramCrackers said...

That picture is a hoot! I often tell my son and daughter-in-law to use velcro to keep the munchkins under control But duct tape would work, too!

Schweers' Mom said...

That's the picture someone sent me about 2 months ago and said that it might not be wise to put on my blog. Dang it - I wish I had!!

One of my fondest memories of my grandfather was him taking me to Krisy Kreme before school and letting me chose the radio station in the car. I'm sure it drove him crazy since he liked the old country standards and I preferred loud rock and roll. It was such a special time with him. I looked forward to it each week when I was in 9th and 10th grade. I know your granddaughter(s) will one day look back and smile big thinking about your special date(s)!