Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Dim lights, bright hopes


I have a Christian friend who fell into sin a while back. I saw him today. It wasn't a situation where we could talk, but I have been thinking for a long time about what I might say to him if I ever get the chance. I love this guy dearly, and it has really grieved me to see what he has done...what he has done to God, his wife and his family. My first thoughts were anger, tell him what you think, give him "what for." But God has a way of dealing with hearts, and he has softened mine. I love this guy, and grieve for what he has done. I don't think he even knows the full scope of his sin yet, but I know that will come. So how do I respond? How do I feel about all of this? It's been hard, I must admit. I have really been burdened over this. I can see how those around David felt when his sin came to light. What a time of sorrow. I am praying for my friend, in fact I prayed for him this morning, and I hope one day God can work in his life again. He was a vessel of honor, but now is simply a cracked pot on the side of the road. His light has dimmed, and for that I grieve. I hope that his dim wick will once again bring light to those around him, but for now I'm praying for my friend....

Rev 3:2 'Wake up, and strengthen the things that remain, which were about to die; for I have not found your deeds completed in the sight of My God.
Rev 3:3 'So remember what you have received and heard; and keep it, and repent. Therefore if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come to you.

5 comments:

susan in fm said...

I saw someone last month - maybe the same someone you did. I posted my thoughts, too. It really brought back a lot of emotions for me. There was anger and sadness.

I'm praying, too.

Anonymous said...

Mike,
Thank you for your heart, for caring, for remembering, and praying for him/them this morning. We need to keep praying for this family fervently.

Anonymous said...

I came across this, What do you think?

-Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be.

-Man proposes, but God disposes.

-Love is swift, sincere, pious, pleasant, gentle, strong, patient, faithful, prudent, longsuffering, manly and never seeking her own; for wheresoever a man seeketh his own, there he falleth from love.

Nothing is sweeter than love, nothing stronger, nothing higher, nothing wider, nothing more pleasant, nothing fuller or better in heaven or in earth; for love is born of God, and cannot rest but in God, above all created things.

Imitation of Christ,
Thomas à Kempis

Heidi Day said...

Mike, well, what did you say? Heidi

Mike Messerli said...

Heidi,

I didn't talk to him. I didn't want to have my first visit with him in a public restaurant. I will save that visit for a more private time. I will keep praying for him.