Monday, February 04, 2008

Monday's cartoon

One of my favorite stories is in Matthew 14. It's the story of Peter's great adventure. Here is the text and at the end I will make a few comments:

Mat 14:25 And in the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea.
Mat 14:26 When the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, "It is a ghost!" And they cried out in fear.
Mat 14:27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, "Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid."
Mat 14:28 Peter said to Him, "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water."
Mat 14:29 And He said, "Come!" And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus.
Mat 14:30 But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!"
Mat 14:31 Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and *said to him, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?"

What inspired Peter to ask such a thing? What a question- can I walk on water too? And he did until he "saw the wind." That's such an interesting phrase to me when the text says, "But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out." How do we see the wind? Wasn't what he was doing already impossible? Why did he let the wind distract him. Did he suddenly realize that he was doing the impossible and the wind brought him back to "reality." "Man can't walk on water, what am I doing?" So he took his eyes off Jesus and got distracted by the wind.

How often I do that as well. I'm already living an impossible life, and then, in a moment of panic or fear I let the storms around me distract me from my trust in Christ. I'm already living an impossible life, what's a little wind? So, today, as you "walk on water" keep your eyes on the Lord, don't let the winds of worry, work, problems or trials distract you. They can't hurt you. Keep your eyes on the Lord who makes the impossible possible.

No comments: