Wednesday, August 03, 2016

He sees!

"While Jesus was in the Temple, he watched the rich people dropping their gifts in the collection box.  Then a poor widow came by and dropped in two small coins. “I tell you the truth,” Jesus said, “this poor widow has given more than all the rest of them.  For they have given a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she has.”  

Often, when I'm honest, I will admit that I don't think I do much that matters for God.  And, even the little things I try to do are so small, so trivial, I wonder what difference I make at all.

We all feel that way!  When we look at the world around us and all that is happening we are tempted to ask, "So what difference can I make?  What I could do will change nothing."  

But, as I read this story this morning, once more I watch Jesus highlight the little things...the things we miss.   He tells the disciples, "Hey, did you see that?  That was amazing!"  And they reply, "What? What? We didn't see anything."  Jesus responds, "That woman who put two cents in the offering, did you see that?"  I'm sure they were thinking, are you kidding me?  What difference does that make?

To God it was big, to us it was nothing.  Could it be we miss the big things because they seem small to us?  Could it be that the deeds and actions that change eternity are invisible to a world looking the other way?

God sees the small things, the things done for him....even when no one else sees them he sees!  This morning God is asking the angels around him, "Did you see that?"  And they reply, as we do, "What? What? We didn't see anything."

But He sees.

No comments: