Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The distortion of distress

I notice when distress, problems or trials come my view of things begins to be distorted. I see things through my pain and I lose focus on reality.  Trials, distress and pain distort reality and it feels like God has abandoned us.

I know this is true from my own experience, but I know it too from others and especially from the writers of Psalms.  Take a moment and read this portion of Psalm 77 and then a few thoughts,

Psalm 77
For Jeduthun, the choir director: A psalm of Asaph.
I cry out to God; yes, I shout.
    Oh, that God would listen to me!
When I was in deep trouble,
    I searched for the Lord.
All night long I prayed, with hands lifted toward heaven,
    but my soul was not comforted. I think of God, and I moan,
    overwhelmed with longing for his help. Interlude
You don’t let me sleep.
    I am too distressed even to pray! I think of the good old days,
    long since ended, when my nights were filled with joyful songs.
    I search my soul and ponder the difference now.
Has the Lord rejected me forever?
    Will he never again be kind to me?
Is his unfailing love gone forever?
    Have his promises failed forever?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?
    Has he slammed the door on his compassion? Interlude
And I said, “This is my fate;
    the Most High has turned his hand against me.”
But then I recall all you have done, O Lord;
    I remember your wonderful deeds of long ago.
They are constantly in my thoughts.
    I cannot stop thinking about your mighty works.
O God, your ways are holy.
    Is there any god as mighty as you?

You are the God of great wonders!

Did you notice something in this heart-wrenching confession? Did you see the distortion this writer expressed?  Here it is again because if we miss this we will miss God,

                                              Has the Lord rejected me forever?                                                   Will he never again be kind to me?
                                               Is his unfailing love gone forever?
                                                    Have his promises failed forever?
                                             Has God forgotten to be gracious?

Distress and difficulty quickly feels like our permanent fate, as if God will never help us, never change things.  Our perception of God, time and events is distorted and we begin to lose hope.

But the author caught himself.  He realized what he was doing and replied to himself with these insight,

But then I recall all you have done, O Lord;
I remember your wonderful deeds of long ago.

They are constantly in my thoughts.
I cannot stop thinking about your mighty works.

O God, your ways are holy.
Is there any god as mighty as you?


You are the God of great wonders!

He realized what he was doing (feeling sorry for himself, assuming God had abandoned him) and began to rehearse all the ways God had helped him in the past.  It moved the author to praise and corrected the distortion of his distress.

When you find yourself in a trial, a problem or with suffering of any kind realize your perception of God and reality will begin to feel a bit distorted.  When that happens take a moment and reflect on God's goodness in your life in days past, how good he has always been to you.  In your reflection and praise the distortion of your pain or problem will correct itself.  

Don't forget to remember- God is good even when it feels he has forgotten all about you.



No comments: