Thursday, July 30, 2009

The sky is falling!


I am getting dozens of e-mails daily from Christian people who are in a Chicken Little panic over the direction and fate of our country. I am honestly surprised and amazed at the panic I read in these notes. It's as if God were no longer in control and unless we do something NOW our lives and our country will come to a horrible end.
...
Let me reassure you that the sky is NOT falling. Things are not out of control. There is a God in the heavens and he is in control. And, let me make this bold statement- if we spent as much time in prayer as we are spending to send e-mails to everyone we know we would do far more good and make a much bigger impact! Sadly, Christians believe that their biggest impact is achieved by signing petitions, sending e-mails, calling their senators, but the truth is that our biggest impact is achieved on our knees in prayer to the sovereign God of the universe.
...
God writes much about this. I could post a dozen verses that would deal with this topic, but here are two that I depend on as I watch the world around me. And, before you read them, let me reassure you that the sky is not falling, the God of the universe is fully in control and working for our good and his glory.
...
2 Chronicles 7:14 and if My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
...
Psalm 29:10 The LORD sat as King at the flood; Yes, the LORD sits as King forever.
...

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Great points Mike. We spend time praying for our country, our leaders and it's direction. I also take the time to let the leaders know what I'm thinking, what I like and what I don't. We tell our boys that God is in control and always watching over us but we also share with them what a privilege it is to participate in the political process.

Mike Messerli said...

Alicia,

great comments and well balanced. thanks.