Wednesday, July 29, 2009

An amazing man


I just started reading the book of Job. It's a very interesting book. I'm fascinated by this man, Job. He stands out in the book as a man different in his time. Here are the opening words to the book,
...
Job 1:1 There was a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job; and that man was blameless, upright, fearing God and turning away from evil.
...
This is an amazing guy! The opening commentary about him tells us about his life. He had, somewhere in his life, made some choices about his walk with God. His choices had become part of who he was....blameless, upright, fearing God and turning away from evil. I am impressed by a life that reflects these choices and this relationship with God.
...
Then we come to an encounter in heaven when Satan shows up before the throne. The words of God caught my attention. I couldn't believe what I was reading. I had not "seen" this before,
...
Job 1:8 The LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered My servant Job? For there is no one like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, fearing God and turning away from evil."
...
Did you see it? Here are the words that caught my attention- "there is no one like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, fearing God and turning away from evil." How did this man become this man? What happened in his life that he gets this commentary- there is no one like him on the earth? Those very words amaze me! Of all the people on the planet at that time this is the only man who is blameless, upright and fears God? A man who turns away from evil...he's the only one? WOW! I have no idea how many there were on the earth at this time, but even if it's only a few million how did this one man come to this place in his life to get this commentary from God? And, sadly, how come he's the only one? What a poor commentary on the human race (and an interesting insight into his friends who are on their way to visit him).
...
As I think about Job my thoughts race to the present. I know, because of Christ and his sacrifice on the cross, my sins are forgiven, but the heart of Job goes much further than forgiven and cleansed. He made a choice, he did something in his life that made him unique in his time, a blameless and upright man, fearing God and turning away from evil. That very commentary catches my mind and passions. I want to be like that. I want that heart of Job that stands out in his generation and brings him up in discussions in heaven. I'm not there now, but I'm challenged by these very words of commentary on a solitary and amazing man.

1 comment:

Toneman said...

Mike,
Another tho't on that passage, consider that although he was blameless and upright, his wife later told him to curse God and die. He was walking in that light even though his wife wasn't following his lead. I have a friend that is in that boat right now.