Sunday, February 22, 2009

Fear of falling


What a time we are living in! Every day I'm hearing of members of our church family who have lost their jobs, wives who have to go back to work and fears of loss most in our culture have never experienced. The fear of falling is in the air. The sense of panic is toxic. We are in a time when we can no longer be self-reliant....it's not enough. Our best experiences, our multiple degrees and our years of self-reliance will not sustain us through these days. We are in a time when the fear of falling is real. All around us are those who have hit the ground and are struggling to recover. What will we do if WE fall? It is a fearsome time in a culture that has been proud, confident and self-reliant. What's amazing to me is that this fear is worldwide. All around us the things we have trusted in are crumbling before our eyes. All around us the things we depended on are collapsing. What do we trust in now? How will we survive now? What do we do now?
..............
King David asked the same questions. Here's his answer. It's been the answer for multiple millions. In case you are looking for something to calm your fear of falling may I direct your focus to David's solution-
..............
Psalm 42:5-11- Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him For the help of His presence. O my God, my soul is in despair within me; Therefore I remember You from the land of the Jordan And the peaks of Hermon, from Mount Mizar. Deep calls to deep at the sound of Your waterfalls; All Your breakers and Your waves have rolled over me. The LORD will command His lovingkindness in the daytime; And His song will be with me in the night, A prayer to the God of my life. I will say to God my rock, "Why have You forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?" As a shattering of my bones, my adversaries revile me, While they say to me all day long, "Where is your God?" Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him, The help of my countenance and my God.
............

1 comment:

Brandon and Jenny said...

Thank you, Mike. I needed that encouragement tonight. You can only imagine how much that all affects missionaries. CAM is in very tight straights as well. So, pray with us and tell that worry, 'Why are you in despair, why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him!

Amen. And amen.