Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The king and his kingdom

................
Rev 4:1-2- After these things I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven, and the first voice which I had heard, like the sound of a trumpet speaking with me, said, "Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after these things." Immediately I was in the Spirit; and behold, a throne was standing in heaven, and One sitting on the throne.
................
I'm getting ready to teach tonight from this passage in Revelation and the verses that follow it. It gives us an amazing look into the kingdom of God. There is a king and he is building his kingdom. It was very interesting to me that in the Perspectives class on missions last night Bruce Miller, the speaker, talked about the kingdom of God and his plans to build his kingdom, but the fact that his kingdom really has two parts- a place and a people. At this time in history God is building his kingdom and filling it with people. This passage in Revelation begins to tell us about the place where his kingdom will touch earth. In a world that seems to be out of control it's a great comfort to me to have a king who is ruler over heaven and earth. Here are a few verses I go to often for comfort when chaos rules-
................
Psalm 29:10 The LORD sat as King at the flood; Yes, the LORD sits as King forever.
..............
Psalm 103:19 The LORD has established His throne in the heavens, And His sovereignty rules over all.
.............
My only problem with all of this king language, honestly, is the fact that I have been raised in a country where I am king. Each of us has been taught and raised to believe that I am the center of the universe, I make the choices about my life...what I want to be, where I want to live, where I want to travel....I'm the king!
...........
And yet, honestly, I know better. I know there is THE king who invites me to bow my knee to him. It's the surrender to his kingship and kingdom in my life that must be done daily, but one day I will see him seated on the throne and then will know the king of heaven and earth as I was meant to know him. Then my battle to be king will be over, and I welcome the day when he will be the only king fighting for rule in my heart and life.

2 comments:

Merrikay said...

Between your Revelation class and Perspectives, there is a lot to chew on. Bruce Miller's comments about the church and Revelation chapters 2 and 3 have me thinking about the church a lot. In our culture, where every thing is based on the individual, I think we are missing the importance of the community that is the local church. I can't sit back feeling smug if I think everything is ok with ME. Jesus cares for His church. I have a lot to wrap my head around on this one. Let's talk sometime!

Thanks for this blog. I don't read blogs just on principle...but yours has me hooked.

Merrikay

Schweers' Mom said...

We are so egocentric. Whenever I read a passage in the Bible that says "you" I have to remember that it is YOU ALL and not just ME. Community.

I am still trying to get my mind wrapped around so much of what I read in Revelation. I'm glad you pointed out from the beginning to look for descriptions of Christ. I can handle that. Interpretation? Yikes. My brain goes to "tilt."