Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Living for the day


In my reading this morning I came once more to Matthew 6. This chapter is part of the sermon on the mount, and in the second half of the chapter Jesus makes this statement,
.............
Mat 6:31 "Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?'
Mat 6:32 "For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.
Mat 6:33 "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
.............
These verses always amaze me because this is not how we live. We are people who worry about everything! We do worry about food, drink, clothing, housing, jobs, cars, ETC! We are masters of worry. The one phrase that changes everything for me is this short, simple statement, "for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things." For me, those few words speak volumes about our problem. Worry is a clear sign of a very short list- 1. He's not my Father, 2. I don't think he can help me, or 3. I don't think he loves me. One or more of these 3 things is the problem for those of us who worry rather than rest. I love this chapter, but it frustrates me as well because it brings to light my own lack of faith as I watch my worry filled life.
.............
He is my Father, so that's not the problem, now I'm down to one of two issues, either he's not able to help me (not big enough) or he's not willing (doesn't love me). I know from what I read in the rest of the bible that neither of these are true, so worry for me is a great opportunity to check my spiritual pulse. I know God is able and I know he loves me, so why am I worrying. His promises here are sure. He is trustworthy. So, in the midst of a world in chaos don't forget that God is still in charge, still strong enough, still able to help and he loves us.
...............
As one author wrote, "Dear child, good morning. Today I will handle everything for you. You don't have to worry about a thing. I will take care of you. Have a nice day. God."

No comments: