Friday, June 05, 2009

Playing the same old keys


Like this old piano, with worn keys in the middle of the 88 key register, I find that I often come back to play the same notes I have played over and over again. They are the basic notes of the Christian life that create the sweet music of a life lived for God. Here are a few of the keys I play often, both in counseling and in my own walk with God,
...
Ephesians 4:29-32- Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear. Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.
...
These are the basics of Christian living and relationship with others. These are the basics I play over and over in my life. These are the basics I share with others in counseling. They are keys to living well and pleasing God. The basics from this passage are simple to do. And when you play these notes what everyone hears is the sweet music of God working in your life. So, here's the music of this passage I try to play often,
...
1. Watch your mouth. What you say makes a difference. Intentionally use words of grace with the intention of building up others. Literally, in the Greek, it says "don't let a rotten word come out of your mouth."
2. Deal with the sin in your heart so it doesn't come out of your mouth and hurt others. As Paul says, "put it away from you." What are we to put away? bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor and slander. In other words put away anything that might hurt another person.
3. Be kind. As Solomon said, don't let truth and kindness leave you. Wrap yourself in them.
4. Treat others tenderly. They belong to God, be careful how you treat God's property.
5. Forgive one another. Imitate God's forgiveness of you and extend the same to others.
...
Truthfully, if we simply lived by these verses, simply played this music over and over again, it would change our lives and our churches. It's simple music, but it's the kind of tunes that God loves to hear. So, today, for me...I'm just replaying this amazing music over in my head again and allowing it to remind me that what I do, what I say, how I treat people is important to God and it's music he loves to hear.
...

1 comment:

Mike Messerli said...

I have a comment from Anonymous asking about irony between this post and the one yesterday about fools.

Anonymous, there is no conflict here. The fact is that there are lost people in the world, there are evil people in the world, there are foolish people in the world and possibly in our lives. That is a reality.

What I am talking about today is how I or YOU respond to those around us. And, how you should treat me as a believer. I choose to love them, care about them and extend mercy, as I'm doing to you, in spite of what they are or who they are or how they act.

There is no conflict here. The fool is a topic of Solomon's observations, but even when I meet a person who is lost, angry, mean, bitter or foolish I can choose to love and care for them, and I do.

You sign yourself "disappointed". I might suggest you have some things we should talk about. Since I don't know who you are I cannot help with your issues. Again, coffee and a good visit with a pastor who loves people might be just what you need. Call me....I'll buy the coffee.