Thursday, June 04, 2009

Fools and foolishness



"Are you a fool? Take the Quiz now"
...
That's the title of a web page I came across this afternoon. I thought as I read the text, "No way am I taking that test! If I am a fool why would I want to know and if I'm not I sure know enough not to take their test." Although I am curious....what would the test be like? It would be fun to come up with the questions for this test, but why? Proverbs talks a lot about fools and their foolishness. In fact Solomon wrote that if you ground a fool to powder you couldn't separate him from his foolishness. Clearly, in proper culture, it's not at all polite to call anyone a fool. Even if they don't know what it means everyone does know it's a most humiliating insult. A fool is a person lacking in judgment or prudence. It's clear from the bible that fools are plentiful and are really frustrating to be around. Here's a few examples from Proverbs,
...
A quiet rebuke to a person of good sense does more than a whack on the head of a fool.
...
Better to meet a grizzly robbed of her cubs than a fool hellbent on folly.
...
Having a fool for a child is misery; it's no fun being the parent of a dolt.
...
The words of a fool start fights; do him a favor and gag him.
...
Don't respond to the stupidity of a fool; you'll only look foolish yourself.
...
Answer a fool in simple terms so he doesn't get a swelled head.
...
Putting a fool in a place of honor is like setting a mud brick on a marble column.
...
Hire a fool or a drunk and you shoot yourself in the foot.
...
See that man who thinks he's so smart? You can expect far more from a fool than from him.
...
If you think you know it all, you're a fool for sure; real survivors learn wisdom from others.
...
A sage trying to work things out with a fool gets only scorn and sarcasm for his trouble.
...
So, in a politically correct culture, where no one is a fool and everyone is a sage in their own minds, today I'm reflecting on the reality that the foolish man is still alive and well on planet earth....you just can't call him that....but there is a Quiz if you're not sure.
...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

And your not?

Mike Messerli said...

Anonymous,

A great question. from what I read in Proverbs I am NOT a fool. I seek after knowledge and wisdom and I listen to correction. From all I see in the bible I am doing all I can to NOT be a fool. How about you?

Anonymous said...

Everyone is a fool at some point. The wise know that.

Anonymous said...

I scored a B. Don't really know what that means!

Brandon and Jenny said...

I sometimes do the things that fools do, I admit it.

But Mike, when I read proverbs, I don't see you acting like the fool. And isn't that how we define wisdom and foolishness, by our behavior?

Zach said...

Don't respond to the stupidity of a fool; you'll only look foolish yourself.

In modern times this could be read as, "Don't argue on an internet forum."

Mike Messerli said...

Zach, I agree completely! Great comment!

Brandon, Thanks for your kind words.