Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Under construction

One of the frustrating aspects of the Christian life is the realization that we are all "under construction"...in the process...growing into Christ-likeness. It's frustrating because there is a goal, but the trip will take me a lifetime. I find that I never arrive, but am always on the journey to become like Christ. The world is quick to criticize me for my weaknesses, sins and immaturity, but what they don't know is that this odyssey will take me my whole life. I'm a work in process, and I have to remind myself of that. I want to be like Christ NOW, but know that it won't happen until I cross the finish line....until then I'm being molded into his image day by day....little by little. I'm under construction.
..............
the Bible describes it this way,
...............
Ephesians 4:13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.
............
Ephesians 4:15 but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ,
................
Heb 5:14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.
..............
1 Peter 2:2 like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation,
.............
2Peter 3:18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.
..............
There are other verses that speak of this odyssey...this walk we are on. I have to remind myself often that I'm still growing, I'm not there yet. My enemy is quick to remind me of my flaws and sins, but I have to remember that God is still working and has promised to continue his work in my life until the day I am complete....completely like Christ! I long for that day!
.................
1John 3:1 See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.
1John 3:2 Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is.
.......................

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see that the D--T word has much the same effect as a "fast" in giving you more time to concentrate on spiritial matters, as you cannot sleep due a growling tummy at 4;00 AM. Isn't it good to know we do it because we want to, not because we don't have anything to eat, God is good! Mike McM

Anonymous said...

Ahhh Humility....the first atep toward wisdom. Now if we could only have this mind set all the time about ourselves and about others how wonderful the world would be. maybe there would actually be real grace being displayed.

good post. Much better than the antagonistic ones about global warming and the like. The sheep need spiritual food, not secular fodder filled with opinions.

Mike Messerli said...

Anonymous,

thanks for your kind words on this post.

and, to your comment on the global warming piece- if you read it carefully you would have seen that it was true spiritual food. The point of the piece was this- WHO DO YOU TRUST? Do you trust God or US? There was no secular fodder in the piece, and my opinions were directed to focus the reader on a dependence upon God as the sovereign of the universe. I'm really sorry you missed that.