Friday, July 25, 2008

A secure love

I was reading in Romans yesterday and came to Romans 8. It's one of the mountaintop chapters of the bible. What amazing truths this chapter holds, but what caught my mind was the end of the chapter....three little verses that I have read hundreds of times, but I don't think I yet fully understand or believe them. I honestly find myself as a Christian who often thinks and talks like an atheist! And then I come to a passage like this, and must stop to ask, "do I really believe this? And if I really did what would change in my heart and mind? How would I live differently? If I really believed this what would I look like?" And, so, without further delay here are the verses that have made me stop and think. If you don't mind I will add a few thoughts at the end...
...........
Rom 8:37 But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us.
Rom 8:38 For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers,
Rom 8:39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
..........
Like a child totally dependent upon its parents for everything, completely trusting in the care and love of its parents we are told we have a much better relationship with God. One in which his love promises victory and a security that I cannot have on my own. When I read, "nothing will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord" I have to pause and ask, "do I really believe that?" And, sadly, I find that many times I don't live like this is true. In my theological mind, in my good orthodox biblical training I believe it, but in my life...where theology meets the world...I often live like this isn't true. My confession to you moves me to ask once more, "what would my life look like if I really did believe these verses?" I don't know yet, but I plan to find out......I'll keep you updated.

No comments: