Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Inspiring



Last night we watched the ABC News special about the life of Randy Pausch. In the last week he died of cancer. He is the professor who wrote the book "The Last Lecture" and impacted thousands with his views of life and death. It's inspiring to watch someone as they finish this life and how they view their life. I hope to fit his book into my growing pile of books I must read. I loved his "Tigger" way of viewing things. He chose to be an "up" person, and he really did touch the lives of many people. If you have time to read more or simply watch the videos at ABC News I encourage you to do so. It's well worth the time. And, I will be praying for Randy's family.

6 comments:

Chester said...

HapiBlogging to you my friend! Have a nice day!

Joye said...

Will he be in your Finishing Well Hall of Fame?

Mike Messerli said...

Joye, yes, I think he needs to be in the hall of fame, don't you?

Schweers' Mom said...

Mike, I know this is an old post, but I just finished reading this book for my book club (a bunch of MOPS leaders). This is our first book to read. I find it interesting that you added Pausch in your hall of fame. As far as I can find on the internet, it doesn't appear he was a believer. Is that still finishing well? Yes, I love his Tigger attitude, but where did that leave him when facing Christ? I think it's kind of sad. What I can find is that he was very invovled in the Unitarian Universalist church. He was very unwilling to speak about his "faith". It seems like he had an enormous opportunity to at the end to really impact lives even more if he had shared a faith in Christ.

I don't know...just some thoughts now that I've read the book (which I did enjoy). What do you think?

Mike Messerli said...

Lori,

I agree with your point- he did not focus his final thoughts on faith and especially his own, so we don't know much about that part of Randy, but finishing well has so many nuances to it that I wanted to honor him for the way he dealt with illness, communicated with his kids and challenged others about their lives and purposes. For those reasons I think he is a hall of famer. I will wait to see the outcome of his faith.

Schweers' Mom said...

Thanks for the explanation. =-)