Saturday, May 11, 2013

Quiet time

I think our culture needs a time out....a quiet time out.  This morning, EARLY this morning, I'm reading,  praying, thinking...and in my ears is noise all around.  

The neighbors next door fighting, 


the neighbors behind me hollering at their kids, 

dogs barking in response, 


airplanes flying overhead,


will you all please be quiet!


Silence is something our world does not like.  We are a world of noise...noise 24/7.  Noise to keep the silence away.  There are few places where we can go to find a place without the noise of our world....because in the silence we have to deal with ourselves, we have to deal with God, we have to deal with the things we have done and so we turn up the noise.


It's interesting that in the bible quietness and peace with God are spoken of together.  Noise and sin are partners as well.  It seems that quiet is the posture of peace, of a right relationship with God...it's comfortable when peace with God is a reality.  But when we haven't resolved our relationship with God, when there is no peace with God we keep the volume turned up so we don't have to deal with him.


Isaiah wrote, "The Lord God, the Holy One of Israel, has said, “In repentance and rest you will be saved, In quietness and trust is your strength.”"


In Psalms God said to David, "Hush, be quiet and know that I am God."


As I listen to the noise all around me, volumes increasing as the sun rises, I am thankful for the peace, the quiet of a relationship with God that gives me calm in the storm of noise swirling all around.  


No comments: