Thursday, September 06, 2007

Little pleasures


Hi, my name is Mike and I'm an addict.
Yes, it's true.....I am a food addict! I love food! I even watch the food channel to see how they make food!
If you saw me you would know that's true. (I'm working on that, so be patient.) I am so grateful that God gave us taste buds, and that he made food taste good. We do need it for nourishment, but how great is it that it tastes good too? It's like we get two great things at the same time! Nourishment AND taste!
I like all the tastes....all of them! I love Mexican, Indian, American, Chinese, Japanese, and yes Robyn.....German food too! It's scriptural, you know....we are supposed to enjoy food, just look at the wisdom of Solomon on this issue:

Ecc 9:7 Go then, eat your bread in happiness and drink your wine with a cheerful heart; for God has already approved your works.
Ecc 9:8 Let your clothes be white all the time, and let not oil be lacking on your head.
Ecc 9:9 Enjoy life with the woman whom you love all the days of your fleeting life which He has given to you under the sun; for this is your reward in life and in your toil in which you have labored under the sun.
Ecc 9:10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might;
Food is part of God's blessings! Not just the nourishment of it, but the taste too....isn't that great?
Now, I know I have to trim down a little, but even while doing that I'm grateful for one of God's little pleasures.

2 comments:

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

hey now... i didn't see any German food mentioned -- i am feeling slighted :-)
come on...
schnitzel?
spatzle
pommes
brats?????
bier
wein

Anonymous said...

Amen Brother!!! I agree with you most times on everything, but I must say this made me want to say a big amen. I too need to work on my addiction, I partake in too much sometime. But I think God gives us passion for these things too. My husband and I both love to cook and we are seeing that really come in to play in ministry lately. I think we have become official cooks of our meetings. Honestly I have been feeling guilty like maybe we enjoy and have too much passion about food. It kind of shows, both my husband and I are a bit overweight. And that is something we try to work on. But that is what we love and we love to bless others by cooking for them.

But God is the one who gives us our talent, I guess he also gives us discipline so we need to use both equally. Your post made me feel better. btw I read a few of your other posts and I enjoyed them too, but I had to say something on this :)