Thursday, June 09, 2011

Learning to "be"


Joye and I just got back from a wonderful week in Colorado. It was cool, relaxing and restful. It was a great time to just "be." Joye tells me that I'm a "do" person and need to learn to just "be," to rest, to sit still, to think. I don't do "be" well. I'm what we have jokingly described as a "do-do" person. I'm on go all the time and don't take time to rest, to be quiet. It has hurt me and so now I'm trying to learn from my sweet wife how to be a "be" person. I told her yesterday that maybe I could combine them and be a "do-be" person.....she made it quite clear that this had other meanings I was unaware of and that would not do. (I lived a very sheltered life as a teenager.) So, I'm learning to stop, be quiet, rest and just be. It's hard to change an old dog like me. It's hard to feel that I'm really doing anything when I'm not, but that's just the point. I often miss the voice of God when I'm going all the time. I think God often waits for me to wear out so he can get my attention. My wonderful wife is trying to help me learn about rest. I'm trying.....

(The photo is from the area we were staying in last week. I wouldn't mind a couple acres by this stream, a little cabin and a month of sitting on the front porch. I think that would make Joye smile. I'm working on it......)

2 comments:

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

thanking God...

Deidra said...

that comment about "trying to learning to rest"...hmm, sounds awfully familar! :) It is good you had time to spend with Joye and enjoy what God made. Thanks for sharing!