Tuesday, September 20, 2016

A glimpse


Honestly, I have to tell you, I see so little.  I understand even less.  In the midst of God's amazing creation I live like a little child playing with blocks.  The things that worry me and make me stay up at night are nothing to the God of creation and yet, like that little child, I fret over nothing. I'm startled at the wind.

It's sad really.  It's sad because we all struggle to trust him.  Even when we have known God for decades we still struggle.  It seems to be part of our fallen nature...the battle to trust God in each moment, in each breath.  I long for that, but often it is just a longing.

One verse that many quote is Jeremiah 29:11.  Here it is for our discussion this morning,

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

I have heard this verse quoted often and almost always out of context, but that is for another time.  This morning let me simply focus on just part of this verse,  "...I know the plans I have for you,"

Solomon described this thought a different way in Proverbs, "Man makes his plans, but God directs his steps."  It's as if we find ourselves on a grand cruise ship with all our needs met fretting over where we are going. Honestly, the bridge is off limits to us.  Up there, in the bridge, the captain guides the ship to his desired goal.  He is steering towards that goal even when I sleep, even when I worry, even when I wonder what is happening....God is fully and completely in charge.

He knows the plans he has for me.  He directs my steps.  Once in a while I get a glimpse of his hand as he guides me, but most of the time I simply have to trust him and walk with him....even when I have no idea where we are going.



No comments: