Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Stumbling to glory

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith."

I have to admit that I still struggle with sin.  There are a few that plague me.  It's as if they cling to my heels, like mud on a boot and I can't get free of them.  Every once in a while I stumble, trip and fall because of the things I struggle to overcome.

The author of Hebrews challenges me to "strip off every weight that slows me down, especially the sin that so easily trips me up" and yet I find I still battle those things...after all these years.  I know others struggle.  I've read their stories. They describe their own battles with this sin or that fear.  We all run much slower because of these things we have yet to vanquish.

I long to be done with mine!  I can't tell you how frustrating it is to once more be dealing with the same things...over and over again.  Wouldn't I have trusted God by now and gotten rid of that?  How I possible still battle this?  I know God and what's he's like so why does this still linger, still cling to me?

It makes me quite aware that if I had been part of the nation of Israel wandering in the desert I would have died during the 40 years in the wilderness and never made it to promise land.  I would have seen giants and become afraid.  I would have easily doubted God.

I'm embarrassed to say it, but it's true.  Will I always battle these things?  Perhaps.  But each time I do, I have to face them and then turn and see God clearly to dispel them.  The only solution for me is to see God clearly, to once more realize he is big and my problem is small.  

Keep your eyes on Jesus.  The author gives that as key to the race.  It is!  If I lose sight of him I always wander off course, lose my way or simply quit running.  It happens easily.

So, this morning, I'm once more dealing with the basics.  We all have to do that....deal with the weakness unique to us and once more focus our attention on Christ, the author and finisher of our faith.  It gives me hope that I can finish my race as well.  But this morning, I'm once more dealing with the things that trip me up.


No comments: