Thursday, September 29, 2016

Don't worry?

“So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’  These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs.  Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."  Matthew 6

Don't worry?

Doesn't God know how much we have to worry about?  Doesn't he realize what a mess we are in?  Yes, he knows. Yes, he realizes exactly what is going on.  That's why he tells us not to worry.  

But if you knew what is going on in our lives you would worry!  Literally, our very foundations are cracking.  What do we do about all that?  We need help!  We need God.

This morning, as I write these words, I must admit worry is close in my mind.  I could easily go there.  We have much facing us.  I know you do as well.  And yet, according to Jesus, we have a choice.  We decide our response to the things that bring worry.  Will we focus on the problems and worry or will we trust God and rest?

Worry or rest?  What's your choice?  In the midst of the storm you will pick one or the other.  We all do.  This morning I have the choice to worry or rest.  Honestly, there is nothing I can do about what I am facing but trust God.  It's big.  If he doesn't do something then we literally have no idea what to do next.

Worry comes for me when God is small and my problem is big.  In those moments when worry knocks on the door I have to decide who is bigger, who or what will dominate my thoughts.  Will it be the big problem or a big God?  Whatever I focus on instantly makes the other small.  If I choose to focus on the problem it gets bigger and God gets smaller.  But, if in the moment, I look to God who knows what I need and focus my trust in him he get big and the problem becomes small.  

Don't worry?  Why shouldn't I?  Because God is big and you are not.  He can be trusted.  Will you trust him?


No comments: