Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Reflections on marriage

Last night I had my last session with a sweet couple preparing to get married.  I think they will do well, but this morning I spent a moment reflecting on the key elements that make marriage work and decided on this simple statement,


A good marriage is made of two great forgivers.

These words, for me, distill love and marriage to its essence.  It describes what love lived out looks like.  I hope I communicated this well to my friends as they start their marriage.  I know it has been vital for us.  I don't think we would have made it if my wife wasn't a wonderful forgiver.  I hope I've done as well in my love to her.  So, if you're looking for a simple formula for a good marriage here is my advice- forgive well and often.


1 comment:

Robyn Rochelle E. said...

Oh my... this is the one thing that our pastor says every time he talks about marriage and about his own marriage. It is also what charge he gave us when he married us.

Pastor Bill. I hope some day you two can meet. He's a great guy and a superb teacher.

http://www.herefordumc.com/

Love all of you at CBC - sorry I wasn't there to celebrate James. He will be missed.
I've often referred to several of the marriages I know from CBC as good examples of Christ and His Church. James and Joyce was one.

Because HE IS the I AM,
i am robyn rochelle cox