Monday, September 26, 2016

Danger!



How we long for a comfortable easy life.  

We hunger for no hungers, 
long for no longings, 
hope for no hopelessness, 
wish for no wishes to be unmet

but life with God is nothing like that.

In fact, it's quite dangerous.  

This morning I'm reading Paul's description of his life with Christ and it doesn't sound safe at all!

"Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea.  I have traveled on many long journeys. I have faced danger from rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the seas. And I have faced danger from men who claim to be believers but are not."

Danger was part of his life.  

Near drowning, stoned, threats from men, hunger for food, and so much more.  

Now here is a question that must be asked-  

How could God choose a man like Paul, someone so important to the beginnings of the church, and allow him to go through such dangers?  

How could he put his through so much, risk his life and cause him such pain?  Wasn't this guy important to the beginnings of the church?  Didn't God care about him?  How could he treat him this way?

And yet, God allowed all of this to happen and from it he brought about an amazing new community that changed the world.  

How can we expect to go through less because we are Christians?  Being sons and daughters of God doesn't exempt us from danger.  In fact, it's possible being a Christian makes our lives even more dangerous!

Why?  So God can be glorified, so we would trust him, seek him, depend on him.

If your life in Christ causes you no risk, no pain, no discomfort maybe you're not doing it right.


No comments: